Philip Glass (1937)
Life: A Journey Through Time (2006)
multimedia piece in seven sections, arrangement for orchestra by Michael Riesman
- General information
Composition date :
- Duration : 12 mn
- Publisher : Dunvagen Music Publishers
- Commission: Cabrillo Festival of Contemporary Music led by musical director and conductor Marin Alsop, Richard and Mary Solari & Jack and Peggy Baskin
- Composition date : 2006
- Instrumental ensemble music [Single wind orchestra]
- 1 flute, 1 oboe, 1 clarinet, 1 bassoon, 2 horns, 2 trumpets, 2 trombones, 1 percussionist, 1 harp, 1 piano, 1 celesta, strings
29 July 2006
USA, California, Santa Cruz, Cabrillo Festival of Contemporary Music
le Cabrillo Festival Orchestra, direction : Marin Alsop.
Table of contents
- Section I, Elements (first part): Parts of Secret Agent and Secret Agent Ending from film score for Christopher Hampton's film The Secret Agent.
- Section I, Elements (second part): Parts of Seward Sanatorium and Mina on the Terrace from film score for Tod Browning's film Dracula.
- Section II, Into the Air: Parts of The Somnambulist and She Took the Path from Les Enfants Terribles.
- Section III, Out of the Sea: Brazil (edited) from Orion.
- Section IV, On Land: Parts of a new untitled piano piece; then part of film score for Shirin Neshat's short film Passage.
- Section V, Beginnings: Parts of Les Enfants Terribles Overture and Paul's End from Les Enfants Terribles.
- Section VI, Out of the Dark: Parts of Promenade in the Garden followed by part of Belle Goes to the Castle from La Belle et La Bête.
- Section VII, Planet of Life: Film score for Peter Greenaway's short film The Man in the Bath (edited, with a coda by Michael Riesman).