American composer born in 1970.
Patricia Alessandrini studied composing with Ivan Fedele, Tristan Murail, and Thea Musgrave and took courses in composition with Georges Aperghis, Franco Donatoni, Brian Ferneyhough, Jonathan Harvey, Michael Jarrell, Betsy Jolas, Helmut Lachenmann, Philippe Manoury, and Marco Stroppa. She graduated with a degree in composition from the Conservatoire de Strasbourg and took part in an experimental course in composition and live electronics at the Conservatorio di Bologna with Adriano Guarnieri and Alvise Vidolin. She participated in Cursus (IRCAM’s composition and computer music course) in 2006 (Cursus I) and 2010 (Cursus II). In 2008, she received a doctorate in composition from Princeton university; the same year, she received a fellowship to pursue a second PhD at the Sonic Arts Research Centre (SARC) in Belfast, where her research focused on real-time physical modeling.
Her work has been performed at many festivals, including Agora (Paris), Archipel (Geneva), Darmstadt (Germany), Tempo real (Bogotá), Musica (Strasbourg), Musiques Inventives d’Annecy, and Sonorities (Belfast), and by ensembles including Accroche Note, the Arditti Quartet, Ensemble Aleph, Ensemble Alternance, Ensemble InterContemporain, l’Itinéraire, and New Millennium. Alessandrini has also collaborated with the Ballet de l’Opéra National du Rhin and in multiple multimedia projects, including with the performer/choreographer Yann Marussich, the sculptor Rukiye Sahin, the filmmaker Shirin Abu Shaqra, and the video artist Chiara Vecchiarelli. She has collaborated with institutions including the IRCAM, le CENTQUATRE-PARIS, the Groupe de Recherches Musicales (GRM), La Muse en Circuit (Paris), Musiques Inventives d’Annecy (MIA), Elektromusikstudion (EMS-Stockholm), as well as many other centers for research and the arts. She has received numerous honors and awards, including first prize in the Sond’Arte Composition Competition for Chamber Music with Electronics in 2009 and a Förderpreis in Composition at the Darmstadt Summer Course in 2012.
Most of Alessandrini’s recent work includes electronics, particularly live electronics, a reflection of her acute interest in the possibilities offered by multimedia creations, collaborations with artists working in other media, and political and social issues. Many of her compositions are built around strategies for reexamining and rereading canonic works in ways that explore questions of representation, interpretation, reception, and memory.
She was a guest composer at the Soundscape festival (Italy) in July 2011 and with the International Contemporary Ensemble (ICE) in 2011-2012. In 2015-2016, she led the “Sound Kitchen” project with the Ensemble Intercontemporain, a series of four concerts at the Gaîté lyrique (Paris) focusing on the discovery of contemporary music for new audiences through technology, and presenting several of her works, as well as a multimedia theatrical creation.
Patricia Alessandrini has taught courses in computer-assisted composition at the Accademia Musicale Pescarese in Italy. She currently teaches at Sonic Arts at Goldsmiths College, London, where she heads the Unit for Sound Practice Research. There she works specifically on the piano, which she confronts with live electronics and robots, a research embodied by the Piano Machine, integrated into some of her pieces such as Tracer la lune d’un doigt (2017) and Ada’s Song (2019). Since 2018, she has taught composition at Stanford University. She also conducts research at the Center for Computer Research in Music and Acoustics there (CCRMA).
Patricia Alessandrini sits on the international board of Share Music & Performing Arts.
© Ircam-Centre Pompidou, 2010
Site de la compositrice, Conservatoire de Strasbourg.
- Solo (excluding voice)
- Trois Études for piano (2001)
- Étude n° 1 bis after Domenico Scarlatti, for piano (2002)
- Variations Hommage à Webern, for cymbalum (2002)
- Soliloque I for cello (2004)
- Soliloque II for clarinet (2004)
- elec Soliloque c'est ce parfait et pur amour, for cello and live electronics (2007)
- elec menus morceaux par un autre moi réunis four miniatures for guitar and live electronics (2009), BabelScores
- elec Grotteschi for tenor saxophone, video and electronics (2010)
- menus morceaux par un autre moi réunis four miniatures for electronic guitar (2013)
- elec Il y a plus d’eau que prévu sur la Lune for contrabass flute and live electronics (2020)
- Chamber music
- Kali for string quartet (2000)
- The Colors of Silence for percussion quartet (2000)
- Nadie encendía las lamparas for string quartet (2001)
- Soliloques for trio (2004)
- elec ircam Trio (d'après Schoenberg) for clarinet, cello, piano and electronics (2004), 7 mn, BabelScores
- elec ircam When David Heard for double bass, percussionist and tape (2005), 10 mn, Inédit
- And list'ning and silent (hommage à Purcell) for trumpet, clarinet, violin, cello, piano and percussion (2007)
- elec De profundis clamavi homage to Alban Berg, for string quartet and live electronics (2007), BabelScores
- elec Funeral Sentences for violin, cello, guitar, percussion and live electronics (2008)
- elec Hommage à Purcell for violin, cello, clarinet and piano with live electronics (2010)
- elec Mismoded for soprano for guitar, percussion, live electronics and interactive video (2011)
- Black, black, black (Omaggio a Berio) for flute, clarinet, viola, cello, piano and percussion (2012)
- elec Forklarede Nat for string quartet and electronics (2012)
- Forklaret Nat for string quartet (2011-2012), BabelScores
- Omaggio a Berio (Black is the colour) for flute, clarinet, viola, cello, piano and percussion (2012)
- elec Pastorale (hommage à Alfred Schnittke), for piano quintet with live electronics system for the piano (2014), BabelScores
- elec im Blutstrahl des Mondes for guitar, viola, contrabass and harp (with electronic gloves) (2018)
- elec Interludes (I-III) for guitar, contrabass, piano and live electronics (2018)
- elec A complete history of music for string quartet and live electronics (2020), BabelScores
- Instrumental ensemble music
- Six Memos for the New Millennium for orchestra (2000)
- In Memoriam Herbert Brün for ten instruments (2001)
- Underworld for ensemble (2003)
- elec Arrangement in Gray and Black for 8-instrument ensemble and live electronics (2005), BabelScores
- Arrangement in Black for ensemble (2006)
- elec Adagio pour l’absence network performance for musicians and 2-10 ‘players’ controlling the interactive video via phone app, with live-generated score, in collaboration with Rob King (2011)
- elec Nachtgewächse for alto flute, clarinet, violin, cello, contrabass, piano, percussion, melodica and electronics (2014), BabelScores
- elec Alphabet de Ténèbres for ensemble and live electronics (2015)
- elec Leçons de Ténèbres for ensemble and live electronics (2016)
- elec Tracer la lune d’un doigt for ensemble, Piano Machine and live electronics (2017), BabelScores
- Vocal music and instrument(s)
- Song of Solomon for two sopranos and chamber orchestra (1999)
- elec À mon seul désir for soprano, ensemble and electronics (2001)
- Wie bin ich froh! for soprano, flute, clarinet and cello (2002), 8 mn
- Spento è già in me l'ardore extract from the chamber opera L'ultima prova, for soprano and flute (2006)
- Black is the colour (hommage à Berio) for soprano, piano and percussion (2010)
- elec Gurre-Klänge performance in four scenes for soprano, singing flutist, ensemble of twelve musicians, and resonating objects, with interactive video projection by Ross Karre and live electronics (2012)
- elec Song of Alma for soprano, chamber orchestra, and live electronics (2018)
- elec Ada’s Song for mezzo soprano, chamber ensemble, and interactive Piano Machine (2019)
- A cappella vocal music
- Electronic music / fixed media / mechanical musical instruments
- Unspecified instrumentation
- Conversations with changes music and sound design for an animated work dealing with urban spaces, reconstruction, and memory by Shirin Abu Shaqra, in collaboration with Justin Yang and Franziska Schroeder (2010)
- They think therefore I am music and sound design for a short film by Rukiye Sahin (2010)
- The Yellow Ones Are Mine music and sound design for a short film by Shen Yi Elsie (2013)
- elec Mondgewächse inclusive multimedia performance, with interactive video (2014)
- elec stage Parlour Sounds multimedia monodrama with electronic instruments and other live electronics (2017)
- elec Adagio de l’intérieur light and sound installation (2019)
- elec Leçons de Ténèbres for ensemble and live electronics
- elec Alphabet de Ténèbres for ensemble and live electronics
- elec Mondgewächse inclusive multimedia performance, with interactive video
- elec Nachtgewächse for alto flute, clarinet, violin, cello, contrabass, piano, percussion, melodica and electronics, BabelScores
- elec Pastorale (hommage à Alfred Schnittke), for piano quintet with live electronics system for the piano, BabelScores
- Black, black, black (Omaggio a Berio) for flute, clarinet, viola, cello, piano and percussion
- elec Forklarede Nat for string quartet and electronics
- Forklaret Nat for string quartet, BabelScores
- elec Gurre-Klänge performance in four scenes for soprano, singing flutist, ensemble of twelve musicians, and resonating objects, with interactive video projection by Ross Karre and live electronics
- Omaggio a Berio (Black is the colour) for flute, clarinet, viola, cello, piano and percussion
- elec ircam Ircam cursus Adagio sans quatuor sound installation [program note]
- Black is the colour (hommage à Berio) for soprano, piano and percussion
- Conversations with changes music and sound design for an animated work dealing with urban spaces, reconstruction, and memory by Shirin Abu Shaqra, in collaboration with Justin Yang and Franziska Schroeder
- elec Grotteschi for tenor saxophone, video and electronics
- elec Hommage à Purcell for violin, cello, clarinet and piano with live electronics
- elec Nani versions 1-4, electroacoustic music
- They think therefore I am music and sound design for a short film by Rukiye Sahin
- elec menus morceaux par un autre moi réunis four miniatures for guitar and live electronics, BabelScores
- elec Funeral Sentences for violin, cello, guitar, percussion and live electronics
- Site de la compositrice : www.patriciaalessandrini.com
- BabelScores : www.babelscores.com
- SoundCloud : www.soundcloud.com
- « Il y a plus d’eau que prévu sur la lune de Patricia Alessandrini » dans Création mondiale d’Anne Montaron sur France Musique le 26 juin 2022.
- « Ada’s Song: Making machine-learning processes visible and tangible », conférence aux Ateliers du Forum de l’Ircam le 31 mars 2023.
(liens vérifiés en octobre 2023).
- Patricia ALESSANDRINI, Lloyd MAY, Margaret SCHEDEL, Chris STOVER, Sofy YUDITSKAYA, « Inclusive Listening. Developing Multiple Theory-Based Practices for Aural Studies », in Openwork, Columbia University Libraries, vol. 1, 2023.
- Patricia ALESSANDRINI, « Five suggestions for an aspiring composition teacher: towards an inclusive compositional pedagogy », in Tempo, vol. 76, 2022, p. 42–51.
- Patricia ALESSANDRINI, « Not All Ideas Are the Same », in Array. the Journal of the ICMA, 2020, p. 7–14.