Italian composer born 20 September 1987 in Mola di Bari.
Emmanuel Palumbo studied information technology at Bari University before undertaking study of composition at the Milan Conservatory with Gabriele Manca. In 2012 and 2013, he studied composition with Gérard Pesson and electroacoustic music with Yan Maresz at the Paris Conservatoire (CNSMDP). From 2014 to 2016, he participated in the two years of the IRCAM Cursus (IRCAM’s composition and computer music course). He also attended numerous masterclasses, allowing him further study with composers such as Franck Bedrossian, Pierluigi Billone, Frédéric Durieux, Francesco Filidei, Stefano Gervasoni, Hèctor Parra, and Alessandro Solbiati.
In 2016, he participated in Voix Nouvelles at Royaumont. In 2018, he undertook an artistic research residency at IRCAM, during which he participated in a project examining interactions which could serve as the basis for the creation of a musical language incorporating physiological parameters, perception, and emotional responses. This gave rise to the creation of a work for an instrumentalist and a second performer embodying the “emotional resonance” of the musical material.
Palumbo’s works have been performed by ensembles such as Ensemble Multilatérale, Alternance, Divertimento, MDI, Interface, and Talea, and soloists such as Maria Grazie Bellocchio, Christophe Mathias, Joséphine Besançon, and Domenico Melchiorre. He has participated in festivals including ManiFeste, Voix Nouvelles, Festival Pontino, Rondò, and San Fedele Musica.
In his music, Palumbo creates temporal structures — using sounds originating from his research on musical instruments — which seek to amplify and unify the sonic material. His works employ numerous novel extended techniques, sometimes involving accessories that he constructs himself, e.g., bows with rubber windings, ad hoc mutes, and plectra coated in felt, giving rise to highly original sonorities.
© Ircam-Centre Pompidou, 2018
- Solo (excluding voice)
- Meccanico con fuoco for piano (2012), 5 mn
- elec Sturm und Drums for percussion and electronics (2012)
- Due studi brulicanti for cello (2013), 3 mn 50 s
- elec ircam Ircam cursus Corps-sans-organes for bass clarinet and electronics (2015), 7 mn 30 s [program note]
- elec ircam Innervoice for augmented piano (2016-2017), 11 mn 30 s [program note]
- Chamber music
- Quintette pour flûte, clarinette, piano, violon et violoncelle (2014)
- Trio pour violon, violoncelle et piano (2014)
- Le Visage de mon double for flute, tenor saxophone, violin and cello (2015), 7 mn
- Instrumental ensemble music
- Eterofonie for ensemble (2008)
- Faust und Margarete for ensemble (2011)
- elec ircam Ircam cursus Artaud Overdrive for ensemble, three Listen devices and electronics (2015-2016), 18 mn [program note]
- Le Cœur des mes doubles for ensemble (2016)
- elec L'Aura della distanza for ensemble and electronics (2017), 5 mn
- Vocal music and instrument(s)
- Auf obere Zelt for actress, soprano and ensemble (2011)
- Lamento, Rituale, Intrico e Spiritoso for two actors and small ensemble (2012)
- elec ircam Innervoice for augmented piano, 11 mn 30 s [program note]
- elec L'Aura della distanza for ensemble and electronics, 5 mn
- elec ircam Ircam cursus Artaud Overdrive for ensemble, three Listen devices and electronics, 18 mn [program note]
- Le Cœur des mes doubles for ensemble
- elec ircam Ircam cursus Corps-sans-organes for bass clarinet and electronics, 7 mn 30 s [program note]
- Le Visage de mon double for flute, tenor saxophone, violin and cello, 7 mn
- Due studi brulicanti for cello, 3 mn 50 s
- Lamento, Rituale, Intrico e Spiritoso for two actors and small ensemble
- Meccanico con fuoco for piano, 5 mn
- elec Sturm und Drums for percussion and electronics
- Auf obere Zelt for actress, soprano and ensemble
- Faust und Margarete for ensemble
- Eterofonie for ensemble
- Page SoundCloud d’Emanuele Palumbo : https://soundcloud.com/emanuele-palumbo (lien vérifié en février 2018).