French composer born in Nantes in 1980.
Following training as a pianist, Nicolas Mondon studied piano accompaniment with Maciej Pikulski, Jeff Cohen, and Noël Lee, and “generative improvisation” with Alexandros Markeas at the Paris Conservatoire (CNSMDP). Later studying with Gérard Pesson and graduating with a Master’s in Composition from the same institution, he undertook further study with Horatio Radulescu, Michaël Levinas and Philippe Leroux, and participated in the two years of the IRCAM Cursus (IRCAM’s composition and computer music course).
His works have been performed by ensembles such as Cairn, Instant Donné, Berlin Kammerensemble Neue Musik, Contrechamps, and the Pasdeloup Orchestra. He has received grants from the Meyer and Tarazzi Foundations, and was awarded an Incentive Prize from the French Academy of Fine Arts in 2010. He is interested in extra-European musical traditions (notably those of the Far East), and frequently composes for prepared piano.
Nicolas Mondon teaches music at the Vitry-sur-Seine Conservatory (in the south-east of Paris).
© Ircam-Centre Pompidou, 2012
- Solo (excluding voice)
- Chamber music
- Mont vert, nuage blanc for viola and bassoon (2005), 10 mn
- Nocturnes for quintet (2005), 7 mn [program note]
- Bu bu jiao for clarinet and string trio (2009), 2 mn [program note]
- Entours for quintet (2009), 11 mn [program note]
- elec Klavierkantate for keyboard ensemble and electronics (2011), 35 mn [program note]
- Ravine for tenor saxophone, prepared piano, violin and cello (2010-2011), 12 mn [program note]
- Le jeu des lanternes clôturant la fête du printemps for prepared piano four hands (2012), 12 mn
- Instrumental ensemble music
- Le sommeil d’Incisivosaurus gauthieri educational piece for ensemble (2004), 3 mn
- Peau puis pluie for ensemble (2006), 10 mn
- Wancr educational piece for plucked string ensemble (2006)
- Berceuse-tableaux for large orchestra (2007), 6 mn [program note]
- Esquisse pour un point d'orgue for ensemble (2007), 8 mn [program note]
- Quattuor foci septet (2008), 12 mn [program note]
- Petit bocal for orchestra (2009), 9 mn [program note]
- Acouphonia educational piece for string orchestra, harp, spinet and some winds (2010), 5 mn
- Electronic music / fixed media / mechanical musical instruments
- elec jardin_berceuse_intérieur acousmatic stereophonic piece (2006-2007), 9 mn [program note]
- elec ircam Ircam cursus Pianola/Phonographe I for prepared electronic disklavier (2011), 10 mn [program note]
- elec ircam Ircam cursus Pianola/Phonographe II for prepared electronic disklavier (2012), 13 mn [program note]
- Le jeu des lanternes clôturant la fête du printemps for prepared piano four hands, 12 mn
- elec ircam Ircam cursus Pianola/Phonographe II for prepared electronic disklavier, 13 mn [program note]
- Acouphonia educational piece for string orchestra, harp, spinet and some winds, 5 mn
- Le sommeil d’Incisivosaurus gauthieri educational piece for ensemble, 3 mn
- Site de Nicolas Mondon, http://n.mondon.free.fr (lien vérifié en mai 2012).