Greek composer and singer born 18 January 1988 in Thessaloniki.
Sofia Avramidou was born in Thessaloniki, Greece, in 1988. She studied piano, harmony, counterpoint, and fugue at the Thessaloniki Conservatory before entering the Aristotle University of Thessaloniki, where she studied between 2010 and 2014 under Christos Samaras, receiving a bachelors and a masters degree in composition with highest honors. She went on to study composition with Ivan Fedele in a specialized masters program at the Accademia Nazionale di Santa Cecilia in Rome, from which she graduated summa cum laude.
In 2017, she studied electroacoustic composition with Jean-Luc Hervé and Yan Maresz at the Boulogne-Billancourt Conservatory.
In 2019-2020, she participated in Cursus (IRCAM’s composition and computer music course). Her final piece, Keep digging the hare hole for cello and electronics, was performed in the main auditorium of the Georges Pompidou Center for the online edition of the Festival ManiFeste.
Sofia Avramidou has won numerous awards, including the Prix Goffredo Petrassi, first prize in the 9th Francisco Escudero International Accordion Composition Competition for VoCx, as well as first prize in the 6th Dimitris Dragatakis Composition Competition for Skin, awarded by the Greek Composers Union. She was also awarded a merit scholarship from the Alexander S. Onassis Foundation.
Throughout her career, Avramidou has participated in numerous composition masterclasses and workshops with composers including Beat Furrer, Philipe Manoury, Georges Aperghis, Francesco Filidei, and Dmitri Kourlandski.
She has received commissions from and invitations to collaborate with many celebrated ensembles, including Ensemble Musikfabrik, Ensemble Intercontemporain, Ensemble Multilatérale, Eva Reiter and Ensemble Ictus, Ensemble Ex Novo, and Ensemble Oktopus. In 2018, she was selected by the Venice Biennale to compose a chamber opera to be performed at the Teatro Piccolo Arsenale.
Avramidou’s work is anchored in the tradition of spectral music. Her compositions focus on timbre, formal evolution, and flux, as well as on developing dramatic narrative through contrast. She approaches sound as a sensitive medium and seeks out new textures and tones.
Sofia Avramidou is also a singer. She has collaborated with numerous ensembles and artists such as Elias Liougos, Dulce Pontes, George Stavrianos, Orpheus Peridis, Manolis Rasoulis, Milva, the Thessaloniki City Symphony Orchestra, and the Plucked String Orchestra of the Municipality of Patras, among others.
She also composes film scores; notably, that of Obscuro Barroco, directed by Evangelia Kranioti, which won the Teddy Award at the Berlin International Film Festival in 2018.
Her work is published by BabelScores and Éditions Lacroch.
Awards and Honors
- Prix Goffredo Petrassi, 2018
- Honorable Mention, Pre-Art 11th Competition, 2018
- Ambassador Artist Prize, Yehudi Menuhin Foundation, 2017
- 1st Prize, Francisco Escudero International Accordion Composition Competition, 2016
- 1st Prize, Dimitris Dragatakis Composition Competition, 2014
© Ircam-Centre Pompidou, 2023
Sofia Avramidou ; Mikhail Malt ; BabelScores.
- Solo (excluding voice)
- Alternanze for vibraphone (2013), BabelScores
- Chronophobia for cello (2014)
- Odes - A Story of a Crime for solo harp (2014), between 6 mn and 10 mn about , BabelScores
- Scène Sixième for solo flute (2014), 7 mn about , BabelScores
- Scene VI for flute (2014, 2014)
- When the Wolf met Peter for bass clarinet (2015)
- stage La Légende de Saint-Martin musical theater for cello (2017, 2017), 6 mn 26 s, BabelScores
- Tilen Canti for electric guitar (2019)
- elec ircam Ircam cursus Keep digging the hare hole for cello and electronics (2020), 7 mn, BabelScores [program note]
- Chamber music
- Apprivoisant les vagues for small ensemble (2011), 14 mn about , BabelScores
- Quartet I for string quartet (2012), 9 mn about , BabelScores
- Sisyphus for accordion and double bass (2014)
- Skin for string quartet (2014)
- Stimmt for clarinet, cello and piano (2014)
- Aatos for bayan and clarinet (2016, 2016, 2016, 2016)
- Don’t Even Think About Knocking for string quintet (2016), BabelScores
- VoCx for bayan and clarinet (2016, 2016), 6 mn, BabelScores
- An Absurd Reasoning for violin, cello and piano (2017), between 60 s and 5 mn about , BabelScores
- Occulto Vocale for six instruments (2020)
- Ithaca for chamber orchestra (2021)
- What can that be but my apple-tree? for string quartet (2022), 10 mn, Editions Lacroch [program note]
- Instrumental ensemble music
- Avaton for eight instruments (2013)
- REM (Rapid Eye Movement) for large ensemble (2015), BabelScores
- Chronofonia for twelve instruments (2016), 8 mn about , BabelScores
- Three Greek Dances for string orchestra (2016)
- Metallages for ensemble (2020), BabelScores
- elec ircam Géranomachie for large ensemble and electronics (2020-2021), 10 mn, Editions Lacroch [program note]
- A Hug to Die for eight musicians (2022), 11 mn, Editions Lacroch
- Vocal music and instrument(s)
- The Blue (H)our for soprano, flute, clarinet and cello (2015)
- Water Mask for chamber orchestra and children's choir (2016)
- ’Masques tou Nerou’ for chamber orchestra and children's choir (2016)
- stage Rodi, rodi! Morsicchia! La casina chi rosicchia? chamber opera (2018), BabelScores
- Remembering Clouds for soprano, electric guitar and viola da gamba (2022), 7 mn
- Electronic music / fixed media / mechanical musical instruments
- Unspecified instrumentation
- Aatos for bayan and clarinet
- Chronofonia for twelve instruments, 8 mn about , BabelScores
- Don’t Even Think About Knocking for string quintet, BabelScores
- Three Greek Dances for string orchestra
- VoCx for bayan and clarinet, 6 mn, BabelScores
- Water Mask for chamber orchestra and children's choir
- ’Masques tou Nerou’ for chamber orchestra and children's choir
- Quartet I for string quartet, 9 mn about , BabelScores
- Apprivoisant les vagues for small ensemble, 14 mn about , BabelScores
- Page Soundcloud de la compositrice : https://soundcloud.com/sofia-avramidou-3
- Site de BabelScores : https://www.babelscores.com/fr/composer?userid=9144
- Site des Éditions Lacroch : https://editions.lacroch.com/artistes/sofia-avramidou/
- « Paroles d’artistes », entretien vidéo du 26 août 2020 avec Sofia Avramidou mené par Jean-Philippe Wurtz à l’occasion de l’Académie Voix Nouvelles de la Fondation Royaumont : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Psp5z9mzthY&ab_channel=Royaumont
- « La beauté et l’harmonie des contrastes me fascinent. Entretien avec Sofia Avramidou, compositrice », entretien avec Michèle Tosi publié le 31 mars 2023, à lire sur le site de l’Ensemble Intercontemporain.
- Diffusion intégrale de What can that be but my apple-tree? dans Création Mondiale sur France Musique le dimanche 30 avril 2023, à réécouter en ligne.
(liens vérifiés en juin 2023).
- Sofia AVRAMIDOU, « Binôme », 1 Cd Outlandish Recordings, 2019, OUT007.
- Sofia AVRAMIDOU, VoCx, Maria Zubimendi de la Hoz, accordéon ; Laura Garcia Itarte, clarinette, sur « Hauspoz. Accordion Contemporary », avec des œuvres de Carlos Duque, Aurelio Edler-Copes, Mikel Urquiza, Wen Liu, Fabian Santcovsky, Stefano Bonilauri, Francisco José Dominguez, Stephan Stork, 1 Cd Ibs Classical, 2017, IBS172017.
- Sofia AVRAMIDOU, « L’influence du texte est diffuse », entretien avec Laure GAUTHIER, D’un lyrisme l’autre. La création entre poésie et musique au XXIe siècle, Laure GAUTHIER (dir.), Paris : Éditions MF, Collection Répercussions, 2022.