Italian composer born 12 November 1980 in Milan.
Gabriele Vanoni studied music at the Milan Conservatory with Maria Isabella de Carli (piano) and Giuseppe Giuliano (composition). He went on to enter the doctoral programme at Harvard University, also participating in an exchange programme with Columbia University. While in the USA, he studied with Helmut Lachenmann, Julian Anderson, Brian Ferneyhough, Tristan Murail, Chaya Czernowin, and Hans Tutschku. He has also attended masterclasses for composition and electronic music with Salvatore Sciarrino (Acanthes), Alessandro Solbiati and Luca Francesconi (Stresa EarLab), Denys Bouliane (Domaine Forget), and Michele Tadini.
His works have been performed in Europe (Italy, Norway, United Kingdom, and Russia) and North America (USA, Canada, and Mexico) in venues and festivals such as Carnegie Hall, Venice Biennale, Moscow Conservatory, Royaumont Voix Nouvelles, June in Buffalo, Wellesley Composers Conference, Milan University, New York University, BIT Teatergarasjen in Bergen, and at the Accademia Chigiana in Siena. His music has been performed by esteemed soloists and ensembles such as the Moscow Studio for New Music Ensemble, Mario Caroli, Diotima Quartet, Les Cris de Paris, Gustav Kuhn, Nouvel Ensemble Moderne, Laboratorium Ensemble, Lost Cloud Quartet, Ensemble Fa, San Francisco Contemporary Music Players, Corrado Rojac, and Barrie Webb.
Gabriele Vanoni is the artistic director of the Suggestioni Festival of Italian Music, which takes place in the United States.
He has lived in Paris since 2012, where he undertook the IRCAM Cursus (IRCAM’s composition and computer music course)
Awards, Grants, and Prizes
- 2012, Franz Liszt Grant from the University of Weimar
- 2012, Finalist in the Einojuhani Rautavaara Competition
- 2012, Certificate of “Teaching Excellence” from Harvard University (music theory)
- 2011, Adelbert W. Sprague Composition Competition
- 2011, Ninth A.Gi.Mus Composition Competition
- 2010, Second Prize in the Milan Conservatory International Composition Competition
- 2010, Grant from F. Gordon & E. Hunter Morrill.
- 2009, Commission from Previsioni Musica.
- 2009, Certificate of “Teaching Excellence” from Harvard University (electronic music)
- 2009, Paine Grant
- 2009, Weyman Fund Grant
- 2008, Ibla Prize
- 2008, New York Bohemians Composition Prize
- 2008, North/South Consonance - call for scores
- 2006, Second Prize in the Premio Filarmonica Composition Competition
- 2005, Third Prize in the 3rd Jurgenso Composition Competition
© Ircam-Centre Pompidou, 2014
Site personnel http://www.gabrielevanoni.com (lien vérifié en mars 2014).
- Solo (excluding voice)
- Chamber music
- Bind for alto saxophone and cello (2009), 5 mn, Inédit
- Instrumental ensemble music
- Vocal music and instrument(s)
- A cappella vocal music
- elec ircam Ircam cursus Don for soprano and electronics, 8 mn, Inédit
- Space Oddities for flute, 7 mn, Sconfinarte
- Site officiel de Gabriele Vanoni http://www.gabrielevanoni.com (lien vérifié en avril 2014).