Frédéric Le Bel
Canadian composer born 28 October 1985 in Montreal.
Frédéric Le Bel was born in Canada in 1985. He studied jazz at CIM (Centre d’Informations Musicales) in Paris in 2004 before devoting himself exclusively to composition starting in 2007, when he entered the University of Montreal, studying with Philippe Leroux. He earned his bachelors degree in composition in 2011, then enrolled in the Conservatory of Music in Montreal, where he studied with Serge Provost, graduating with a masters in composition in 2013 and an artist diploma in 2014. He then completed two years of study in Cursus (IRCAM’s composition and computer music course) with Hèctor Parra, Jean Lochard, and Mikhail Malt (2014-2016). He is currently completing a doctorate with IRCAM and the Université Paris 8 on the development and integration of computer learning techniques in the creative process, under the direction of Mikhail Malt and Alain Bonardi.
Le Bel has taken part in several international academies, including Impuls Academy in Graz, Austria; IRCAM’s Académie ManiFeste in Paris, France; the Young Composer Meeting in Apeldoorn, the Netherlands; and the International Young Composers Forum of the Nouvel Ensemble Moderne in Montreal, Canada.
His compositions include instrumental and acousmatic music, as well as mixed music, and have been performed by artists and ensembles such as Brice Martin, Cameron Crozman, Ricardo Descalzo, the Quasar saxophone quartet, the Cecilia String Quartet, the Dr. K Sextet, the Curious Chamber Players, the Divertimento ensemble, the Barcelona Modern Project, the Nouvel Ensemble Moderne, Klangforum Wien, the Orkest de Ereprijs, and the CMM Youth Orchestra. His work has featured at festivals such as Montréal Nouvelles Musiques (Canada), the Cheltenham Music Festival (United Kingdom), the Time of Music Festival (Finland), Gaudeamus Muziekweek (the Netherlands), Mise-en Music (USA), and Expo Milano (Italy).
He sees composition as a “strange mix of research, discovery, and confused, unsettling sensations,” and considers “expression by sound phenomenon through an architecture bearing knowledge and meaning” to be a central preoccupation in his artistic approach.
© Ircam-Centre Pompidou, 2017
Frédéric Le Bel.
- Solo (excluding voice)
- La chair du temps for solo percussion (2013), 8 mn
- elec ircam stage Claustrum for bassoon, electronic device and ten dancers (2014), 13 mn
- elec ircam Ircam cursus 25:17 for cello and electronic device (2015), 12 mn
- elec ircam Alors que le monde est décomposé for piano and electronic device (2016), 11 mn
- Chamber music
- Sideris for horn, trombone, percussion, piano and violin (2010), 8 mn
- ... de sang froid for piano and violin (2011), 10 mn
- elec Maniké for flute, percussion and electronic device (2011), 7 mn
- Prologue : Le Vide for flute, clarinet, violin and cello (2013), 9 mn
- À fleur de cordes for string quartet (2014), 6 mn
- elec Bahia for two pianos, two percussions and electronic device (2014), 14 mn
- elec Gayo for saxophone quartet and electronic device (2014), 13 mn
- Where the Grass is Green and the Girls are Pretty for piano, violin and cello (2014), 8 mn
- Teatro d'Ombre for flute, clarinet, piano and violin (2015), 6 mn
- elec Why Don’t You Get From In Front Of Me? for saxophone quartet and electronic device (2015), 13 mn
- elec Il ne s'agit pas de le recomposer for augmented string quartet and fixed sounds (2017), 22 mn
- Instrumental ensemble music
- Concertant music
- Kairos for baritone saxophone and six percussions (2010), 13 mn
- Vocal music and instrument(s)
- Le jeune fille et la lune for five mixed voices and fourteen instruments (2014), 5 mn
- A cappella vocal music
- Trajectoires for solo voice (2012), 4 mn
- Electronic music / fixed media / mechanical musical instruments
- elec Dé(s)tress for stereophonic broadcasting (2011), 6 mn
- elec Liquidation for 8.1 diffusion (2011), 8 mn
- elec Mais plutôt de trouver la, ou les justes relations accordant l’existence de tous ses éléments for multichannel broadcasting system (2018) [program note]
- elec Mais plutôt de trouver la, ou les justes relations accordant l’existence de tous ses éléments for multichannel broadcasting system [program note]
- elec Il ne s'agit pas de le recomposer for augmented string quartet and fixed sounds, 22 mn
- elec ircam Alors que le monde est décomposé for piano and electronic device, 11 mn
- elec Bahia for two pianos, two percussions and electronic device, 14 mn
- elec ircam stage Claustrum for bassoon, electronic device and ten dancers, 13 mn
- elec Gayo for saxophone quartet and electronic device, 13 mn
- Le jeune fille et la lune for five mixed voices and fourteen instruments, 5 mn
- elec Mestizo for nine instruments and electronic device, 19 mn
- Where the Grass is Green and the Girls are Pretty for piano, violin and cello, 8 mn
- À fleur de cordes for string quartet, 6 mn
- SoundCloud de Frédéric Le Bel : https://soundcloud.com/fr-d-ric-le-bel
- Cartographier l’espace sonore, Frédéric Le Bel, Séminaire du Collegium Musicae Analyse/Création, Paris, Ircam, avril 2016
- Structuring Music by Means of Audio Clustering and Graph Search Algorithms, Journées d’Informatique Musicale, Collegium Musicae, Paris, mai 2017.
- Agglomerative Clustering for Audio Classification using Low-level Descriptors, Research report - version 1.0, Ircam, Paris - France, novembre 2016.
(liens vérifiés le 15 novembre 2017).