Italian composer born in Rome in 1974.
Daniele Bravi was born in Italy in 1974 and began studying piano at the age of six. A self-taught composer from a young age, he entered the Conservatorio di Santa Cecilia in Rome, graduating with honors in 2003. The Association de Repentigny pour l’Avancement de la Musique (Aramusique) awarded him the Marcello Intendente prize for best diploma of the academic year. Bravi continued his studies in France at the Conservatoire National de Région de Strasbourg, from which he graduated in 2006, studying composition with Ivan Fedele, Salvatore Sciarrino, Pascal Dusapin, Wolgang Rihm, Yan Maresz, and Helmut Lachenmann.
From 2006 to 2008, he participated in Cursus (the IRCAM’s composition and computer music course), where he specialized in computer-assisted composition and live electronics.
Since 2007, he has taught composition and harmony in Italy, at the Conservatorio Giovanni Pierluigi da Palestrina in Cagliari, the Conservatorio Giuseppe Verdi in Turin, the Conservatorio Tito Schipa in Lecce, and the Istituto Superiore di Studi Musicali Giuseppe Verdi of Ravenna. Currently, he is a professor of composition at the Conservatorio Umberto Giordano in Foggia. He has given master classes and lectures at the Sibelius Academy (Helsinki), the Estonian Academy of Music and Theatre (Tallinn), and at the Conservatories of Geneva and Strasbourg. Since 2008, Bravi has regularly organized a masterclass titled “Composer/Performer - extended technique” on contemporary composition, which has been held in conservatories in Italy and abroad.
Bravi draws inspiration from philosophy, architecture, psychology, and above all physics, as may be heard in works such as La curva di Lìgaso (2004) or Rifrazioni Lontane for orchestra (which won the Musica Europa Composition Competition Prize in 2004). Meditazione Prima in Eco - Hommage à Descartes (2002) for ensemble was selected by the Comitato Nazionale Italiano Musica (CIDIM) and the International Association of Music Centres (IAMIC) to represent Italian composers at the 2008 IAMIC conference in Wellington, New Zealand.
Initially influenced by the work of Charles Ives, he expanded his studies of the spatialization of sound and timbral research through his ongoing interactions with performers such as Irvine Arditti, Rohan de Saram, Mario Caroli, Roberta Gottardi, and Keiko Murakami. This exploration of sound, Bravi notes, “is part of a clear formal context, characterized by an economy of material and a continuous reference to musical fragments, paying particular attention to the “musical perception” of the listener.”
Bravi’s compositions have been played at many Italian festivals, including the Venice Biennale (2010 and 2015), Suona Francese, Musica Europa 2004, Nuovi Spazi Musicali, Controcanto, Nuova Consonanza in Rome, Rondò in Milan, and MICO in Bologne, as well as in festivals throughout Europe, including the Musica Festival in Strasbourg, the Archipel Festival in Geneva, the Stockholm New Music Festival, Acanthes 2005 in Metz, Zilele Muzich Contemporané in Bacäu (Romania), and A Tempo à Podgorica in Montenegro. His pieces have also been performed at the Bargemusic festival and the International Keyboard Institute & Festival in New York in 2014.
For the 10th annual Pietro Squartini piano competition in Perugia (1998), three of his compositions Quattro variazioni for piano and Acquerelli for piano four hands were selected as required pieces.
Bravi’s works have been performed by the Quatuor Arditti, Algoritmo (conducted by Marco Angius), the World Youth Chamber Orchestra (W.Y.C.O), Ensemble Vortex, the Freon Ensemble, the New Flora Ensemble de Strasbourg, Ensemble L’Imaginaire, Oh Ton-Ensemble, and the Divertimento Ensemble, as well as by performers including Donatienne Michel-Dansac, Guido Arbonelli, Roberta Gottardi, Jean-François Charles, Mirco Ghirardini, Jay Gottlieb, Anna D’Errico, Alfonso Alberti, Maria Grazia Bellocchio, Massimiliano Ferrati, Luigi Attademo, Mario Caroli, Keiko Murakami, and Matteo Cesari.
Bravi’s work is published by Nuova Stradivarius.
© Ircam-Centre Pompidou, 2018
Site de l’artiste, Ensemble Vortex.
- Solo (excluding voice)
- Acquerelli for piano four hands (1997), Bèrben
- Quattro Varizioni for piano (1997), Bèrben
- Il Lamento del Vento for piano (2003), Nuova Stradivarius
- La Curva di Lìgaso for piano (2004), Nuova Stradivarius
- Metempsicosi for flute (2006), Nuova Stradivarius
- Solo for piano (2008, 2011), Nuova Stradivarius [program note]
- elec ircam Tryptique for viola and electronics (2008)
- Aris for bass clarinet in B flat (2010), Nuova Stradivarius
- Minus 43 for guitar (2012), Nuova Stradivarius
- Hommage à C.A.G.E. for violin (2013), Nuova Stradivarius
- Krom T for guitar (2013), Nuova Stradivarius
- Minus 33 for guitar (2014)
- Respiri in-Versi Madrigal for bass flute (2016)
- Visioni dall'orizzonte degli eventi for cello (2017)
- Chamber music
- Quartetto n.1 - Mosaico for string quartet (1998)
- Shàzad for six instruments (1998)
- Figure in movimiento for seven instruments (1999)
- elec Boîte à musique for two pianos, two cellos and electronics (2004)
- Quartetto n.2 for string quartet (2005), Nuova Stradivarius
- Meditazione Prima for clarinet in B flat and double bass (2009), Nuova Stradivarius
- Monás for flute, piano and guitar (2009), Nuova Stradivarius
- Infrared Reflectography for piano and clarinet in B flat (2014)
- Quartetto n.3 for string quartet (2015)
- Sentieri interrotti - ricordare a quattro voci for four percussionists (2018)
- Instrumental ensemble music
- Profili for five instruments (2000)
- Scissioni in ombra for string orchestra (2000)
- Klon for orchestra (2002)
- Meditazione Prima in Eco for four instruments (2002), Nuova Stradivarius
- Rimembranze for thirteen instruments (2003)
- Rifrazioni Lontane for orchestra (2004)
- Meditazione Quarta - Del vero e del falso for oboe, guitar, violin and double bass (2007), 9 mn, Nuova Stradivarius
- Meditazione Terza - Oltre l'inganno dei sensi for five instruments (2016)
- Meditazione Quinta - Tutte quelle cose che ora penso non sono più vere di ciò che appare a chi dorme for ensemble (2017)
- Vocal music and instrument(s)
- Matrimonio segreto di D. Cimarosa elaboration for voice and five instruments (2001)
- Introitus for soprano and six instruments (2002)
- Res Extensa for choir and orchestra (2003)
- Lettere dal Manicomio - Il lamento del Tasso for piano and female voice (2009), Nuova Stradivarius
- Electronic music / fixed media / mechanical musical instruments
- Sentieri interrotti - ricordare a quattro voci for four percussionists
- Meditazione Terza - Oltre l'inganno dei sensi for five instruments
- Respiri in-Versi Madrigal for bass flute
- Quartetto n.3 for string quartet
- Infrared Reflectography for piano and clarinet in B flat
- Minus 33 for guitar
- Hommage à C.A.G.E. for violin, Nuova Stradivarius
- Krom T for guitar, Nuova Stradivarius
- Minus 43 for guitar, Nuova Stradivarius
- Aris for bass clarinet in B flat, Nuova Stradivarius
- Lettere dal Manicomio - Il lamento del Tasso for piano and female voice, Nuova Stradivarius
- Meditazione Prima for clarinet in B flat and double bass, Nuova Stradivarius
- Monás for flute, piano and guitar, Nuova Stradivarius
- elec ircam K4 As for electronics
- Solo for piano, Nuova Stradivarius [program note]
- elec ircam Tryptique for viola and electronics
- Meditazione Quarta - Del vero e del falso for oboe, guitar, violin and double bass, 9 mn, Nuova Stradivarius
- Metempsicosi for flute, Nuova Stradivarius
- Quartetto n.2 for string quartet, Nuova Stradivarius
- elec Boîte à musique for two pianos, two cellos and electronics
- La Curva di Lìgaso for piano, Nuova Stradivarius
- Rifrazioni Lontane for orchestra
- elec stage Fonemi for electronics
- Il Lamento del Vento for piano, Nuova Stradivarius
- Res Extensa for choir and orchestra
- Rimembranze for thirteen instruments
- Introitus for soprano and six instruments
- Klon for orchestra
- Meditazione Prima in Eco for four instruments, Nuova Stradivarius
- Matrimonio segreto di D. Cimarosa elaboration for voice and five instruments
- Profili for five instruments
- Scissioni in ombra for string orchestra
- Figure in movimiento for seven instruments
- Quartetto n.1 - Mosaico for string quartet
- Shàzad for six instruments
- Acquerelli for piano four hands, Bèrben
- Quattro Varizioni for piano, Bèrben
- Daniele BRAVI, Del Vero e del Falso : Lettere dal manicomio - Il lamento del Tasso, Meditazione Quarta - Del Vero e del Falso, Aris per clarinetto basso, Solo per piano, Meditazione Prima in Eco per ensemble, Quartetto per archi n.2, Metempsicosi per flauto solo, Marco Angius (direction), Matteo Cesari (flûte), Roberta Gottardi (clarinette), Anna d’Errico (piano), Donatienne Michel-Dansac (soprano), Ensemble Vide, Algoritmo (ensemble), Arditti String Quartet, 1 CD Stradivarius, STR 33974.
- Site de Daniele Bravi : http://www.danielebravi.altervista.org/
- Daniele Bravi sur le site du Label Nuova Stradivarius : http://label.stradivarius.it/wp/compositori/daniele-bravi/
(liens vérifiés en mars 2019).