Ukrainian composer, sound artist and performer, born in 1986 in Donetsk.
Anna Korsun has earned degrees from the Ukrainian National Tchaikovsky Academy of Music and the Munich Conservatory, where she studied under Moritz Eggert. She has performed as a vocalist, pianist, organist, and conductor.
She is currently working on the project Music for Vilnius alongside Michael Gordon, Agata Zubel, Toshio Hosokawa, Heiner Goebbels, and Ivan Fedele. All of these composers were invited to create unique pieces to be played in seven spots around Vilnius for the city’s 700-year anniversary.
Her music has been performed by internationally renowned ensembles such as Neue Vocalsolisten Stuttgart, SWR Vokalensemble, Ensemble Mosaik, Ascolta, Asko|Schoenberg, Looptail, Camerata Silesia, Ensemble ProArte, VocalLab, Ensemble Oktopus, and Ensemble Nostri Temporis.
Her works have been played at concerts and festivals such as Eclat, Sommer in Stuttgart, Darmstadt, International Society for Contemporary Music 2014, Musikfest der MGNM, Lange Nacht der Musik, Junge Solisten, Sound Walk / Sound Garden 2012, Days of Ukrainian Music in Poland, Music Premiers of Seasons, Kiev Musik Fest, Youth Forum, GogolFest, Tax Free, and Exposition XXI.
Her work explores the human voice and traditional instruments, and how they relate to electronic media. She incorporates elements of theater, video, and choreography. Combining musical composition, installation, performance, and sound art, Korsun sometimes integrates amateur performers, non-musicians, and non-musical objects into her pieces.
Since 2018, she has taught at the Conservatorium van Amsterdam, and gives international masterclasses.
She lives in Berlin.
Prizes and Awards
- Gaudeamus International Composers Prize, 2014
- Akademie Schloss Solitude scholarship, 2014
- Christoph and Stephan Kaske Foundation Prize, 2017
- Berlin Academy of the Arts, Arts Prize in the music category, 2018
- Villa Massimo Scholarship, Rome, 2018
- Open Ear Award, Amsterdam, 2018
- Schloss Wiepersdorf Foundation Scholarship, 2021
© Ircam-Centre Pompidou, 2023
Site de la compositrice ; Site du projet Music for Vinlius ; Site de l’Ukrainian Contemporary Music Festival.
- Solo (excluding voice)
- Aqua Sonare for piano (2008)
- Surfaces for percussionist (2010)
- Nisus for double bass (2011)
- elec Lace for bass clarinet and electronics (2015)
- hauchdünn for accordion (2019)
- Lei for singing cello (2020)
- furueru for organ (2021)
- elec MARA for violin and electronics (2021)
- eigengrau for accordion (2022)
- Chamber music
- Theory of strings for flute, bass clarinet, violin, viola and piano (2007)
- Dream of a Whale for two low brass, two low string instruments and singing percussionist (2010)
- 3in1 for tuba, cello and organ (2011)
- Isostasie for piano quintet (2011)
- Maladie de la Tourette for wind quartet (2011)
- elec Tales of a Brain for horn, percussion, soprano, organ, violin, double-bass and tape (2012)
- auelliae for organs of St. Peter (Cologne) (2016)
- elec moshi moshi for nine performers with smartphones (2018)
- sottilissime for singing string trio (2019)
- MAREVO for two singing saws, two violins, two cellos and piano (2019-2020), 18 mn
- Instrumental ensemble music
- Nisus for orchestra (2011)
- Nebula for Javanese Gamelan (2012)
- elec UnderSurFace for ensemble and video (2012)
- Play for large ensemble (2014)
- Plexus for ensemble (2014)
- Ucht for ensemble and tape (2015)
- elec In einem anderen Raum for orchestra with smartphones (2016)
- Audioguide for singing orchestra (2018)
- elec Geheime Sehnsucht der Zellen for amplified ensemble, tape and quadro sound system (2018)
- OOU for ensemble (2021)
- tamerai for ensemble (2021)
- In The Cage for string quartet, cembalo and fence (2022)
- Popil for large ensemble (2022)
- Concertant music
- Rarefaction of Water for piano and orchestra (2010)
- Vocal music and instrument(s)
- Wehmut for five voices, violin, double bass, prepared piano and sound objects (2011)
- Dream of a Bird for soprano and piano (2012)
- elec stage Tohuwabohu chamber opera for 3 voices, trombone, double bass, sound objects and sampler (2012)
- Traum for soprano and piano (2012)
- Naechte Haltestelle for soprano and ensemble (2013)
- Nighttime Tales for tenor and ensemble (2013)
- Pulsar for organ and voice (2014)
- Ulenflucht for 20 playing and singing performers (2016)
- Tollers Zelle for electric guitar and soprano (2017)
- Zwielicht performance for two speakers, piano and six performers (2017)
- Vertigo for two sopranos and ensemble (2019)
- A cappella vocal music
- The Song of a Fish for soprano (2010)
- Landscapes for five voices (2011)
- Visitation music for singing dancers (2012)
- Vocerumori for six voices (2012)
- elec I Hear Voices for three voices and tape (2013)
- Sirene for twenty-two voices (2014)
- moyioomni for sixteen voices (2016)
- Le basile de sa propre nature for four voices (2018)
- Signals for 14 moving performers with megaphones (2019)
- Spleen for singing ensemble (2019)
- Speculo for two sopranos (2022)
- Electronic music / fixed media / mechanical musical instruments
- Unspecified instrumentation
- Dream of a Bird for soprano and piano
- Nebula for Javanese Gamelan
- elec Tales of a Brain for horn, percussion, soprano, organ, violin, double-bass and tape
- elec stage Tohuwabohu chamber opera for 3 voices, trombone, double bass, sound objects and sampler
- Traum for soprano and piano
- elec UnderSurFace for ensemble and video
- Visitation music for singing dancers
- Vocerumori for six voices
- Dream of a Whale for two low brass, two low string instruments and singing percussionist
- elec Micromaa for fixed media
- Rarefaction of Water for piano and orchestra
- Rock. Scissors. Papers for sound objects and five performers. Composed in collaboration with Sergey Khismatov.
- Surfaces for percussionist
- The Song of a Fish for soprano
- Aqua Sonare for piano
- Theory of strings for flute, bass clarinet, violin, viola and piano
- Site de la compositrice : https://www.annakorsun.com/index.html
- Page SoundCloud de la compositrice : https://soundcloud.com/annakorsun
(liens vérifiés en janvier 2023).
- KORSUN, Anna, « Ulenflucht », 1 Cd Wergo, 2018, WER 6426-2.
- KORSUN, Anna, « Selected Recordings », en digital uniquement, FANCYMUSIC, 2013, FANCY005.
- TCHIBA, Martin, « Aus Stille Geboren. Die Musik der ukrainischen Komponistin Anna Korsun », in Neue Zeitschrift für Musik n°3-2015, pp. 59-61.