Swiss composer born 20 October 1966 in Thun.
A composer and percussionist, Michael Wertmüller studied from 1982 to 1985 at the Swiss Jazz School, from 1986 to 1990 at the Bern Hocschule (HKB) and from 1991 to 1992 at the Amsterdam Conservatory, notably with Misha Mengelberg. From 1995 to 2001, he was a student of Dieter Schnebel at the Universität der Künste in Berlin.
His works have been performed at festivals including Donaueschinger Musiktage, MaerzMusik, Lucerne Festival, Musica Viva, Ultraschall, Tel Aviv Biennale, JazzFest Berlin, Klangspuren Schwaz, Musique Action Nancy, Wien Modern, Huddersfield Contemporary Music Festival, and the London Jazz Festival. He has composed for the theatres of Cologne, Stuttgart, and Zürich.
As a percussionist, he was a member of the Bern Symphony Orchestra, and has performed as a guest with the Royal Orchestra of the Concertgebouw in Amsterdam. In the 1990s, he was the drummer in the experimental music group Alboth!. Since 2004, he has been a member of the Full Blast trio, with whom he has performed in many international festivals.
He has worked with musicians and groups such as John Cale, Bill Laswell, Blixa Bargeld, Jim O’Rourke, Chicago Tentet, Caspar Broetzmann, and Mouse on Mars.
Since 2005, he has been a guest professor at Humboldt University, and, in Berlin, at both the Academy of the Arts and the University of the Arts.
Awards, Grants, and Prizes :
- 1989-1990: Grant from Canton Bern
- 1993: First Prize in the Amsterdam Drummer Contest
- 1995: Prize from the City of Bern for Alboth!
- 2001: Composition Residency in Los Angeles
- 2004: Annual Grant from the Academy of the Arts, Berlin
- 2005: Grant from the city of Cairo
- 2006: Culture Prize from the City of Thun
- 2009: Grant from Pro Helvetia
- 2010: Grant to travel to Sofia (Pro Helvetia)
© Ircam-Centre Pompidou, 2017
- Solo (excluding voice)
- Wertmüller up on his way to the Zivilschutz for jazz percussion (1995)
- Chamber music
- Dunkel-Zeiten for two female pianists and three female percussionists (1992)
- Nottwil for six percussions (1992)
- elec Martyrium und Genuss for electric guitar, bass clarinet, double bass and electronics (1993)
- elec Physica Subterrania for bass clarinet, saxophone, double bass, percussion and electronics (1993)
- 12 Stücke for organ, electric bass and percussion (1999)
- tonio.w. in 100 takten for saxophone quartet (1999)
- Wertmüller up on his way to the Zivilschutz for piano, violin, cello, double bass and percussion (2000)
- Entleibung for string quartet (2001)
- Pesthauch der Entropie for percussion trio (2002)
- tonio.w. in 100 takten for saxophone quartet (2002)
- elec Marter der Metalle for guitar, percussion and electronics (2003)
- Daedalus for viola, piano, bass clarinet, tuba and percussion (2004)
- z. rat part I – V for organ, double bass and percussion (2006)
- die zeit. druchführung. for organ, double bass and percussion (2007)
- Entleibung part III for string quintet (2009)
- Wantons Corner for three double bass clarinets (2009)
- KCF for three clarinets and a basset horn (2011)
- Zeitschrei I/II/III for piano, double bass and percussion (2011)
- quartett #I for string quartet (2013)
- Instrumental ensemble music
- elec die zeit. eine gebrauchsanweisung. for fourteen instruments and electronics (2000)
- Gebuertig for ten instruments (2004)
- elec metal-batt. for instrumental and electronic ensemble (2004)
- Decorporeal for seven instruments (2007)
- Ratten und Knochen for symphony orchestra (2008)
- elec time. in prog. for seven instruments and electronics (2008)
- elec Zwischenspiel for ensemble and electronics (2008)
- time_involved in processing. for instrumental ensemble (2009)
- in time. next step! for eleven instruments (2010)
- Sketches and Ballads for two saxophones, clarinet, double bass and two percussionists (2010)
- Bandmusic for instrumental ensemble (2011)
- Licht-Zeiten for two instrumental ensembles (2011)
- skip a beat for instrumental ensemble (2012)
- Concert music
- Vocal music and instrument(s)
- Das Zimmer for two sopran0s, electric guitar and percussion (1993)
- William for soprano, daxophone and sonodraco (1994)
- Palimpsest for two sopranes, a narrator and four instruments (2005)
- elec Engel der Zukunft for soprano, actor, flute and electronics (2006)
- Lustjagd for choir and orchestra (2011)
- stage Anschlag opera (2013)
- Electronic music / fixed media / mechanical musical instruments
- elec Pilzfuge for electronics (2006)
Catalog sources and details
Site du compositeur.
- angagonisme contrôlé for saxophone, percussion, electric bass and ensemble
- skip a beat for instrumental ensemble
- Palimpsest for two sopranes, a narrator and four instruments
- elec Marter der Metalle for guitar, percussion and electronics
- Entleibung for string quartet
- Wertmüller up on his way to the Zivilschutz for jazz percussion
- William for soprano, daxophone and sonodraco
Site du compositeur.
- Michael WERTMÜLLER, die zeit. eine gebrauchsanweisung., Kammerensemble Neue Musik Berlin, 1 cd Grob, 2003, SWR 2003.
- Michael WERTMÜLLER, Zeitschrei, Steamboat Switzerland, 1 cd Trost Records, 2013.
- Site personnel du compositeur : http://www.michaelwertmueller.com (lien vérifié en novembre 2017).