Benjamin Britten (1913-1976)
The Turn of the Screw (1954)
Opera in one prologue and two acts
- General information
Composition date :
- Duration : 1 h 41 mn
- Publisher : Boosey & Hawkes
- Opus : 54
- Dedication : 'This opera was written for, and is dedicated to, those members of the English Opera Group who took part in the first performance'
Libretto (details, author) :
Myfanwy Piper d’après Henry James
- Composition date : 1954
- Vocal music and instrument(s) [2 solo voices or more and ensemble of 10 to 25 instruments]
- soloists : 1 sopranochild voice, 3 solo sopranos, 1 solo mezzo-soprano [ou soprano] , 2 solo tenors
- 1 flute (also 1 piccolo, 1 bass flute), 1 oboe (also 1 English horn), 1 clarinet (also 1 bass clarinet), 1 bassoon, 1 horn, 1 percussionist, 1 harp, 1 piano (also 1 celesta), 1 violin, 1 second violin, 1 viola, 1 cello, 1 double bass
14 September 1954
Biennale de Venise, Teatro La Fenice
English Opera Group, direction : Benjamin Britten, mise en scène : Basil Coleman.
Peter Pears, Jennifer Vyvyan, Arda Mandikian, David Hemmings, Oliver Dyer, Joan Cross, English Opera Group Orchestra, Benjamin Britten, Cd Decca 425 6722.