Lithuanian composer born in 1972 in Vilnius.
Vykintas Baltakas was born in Vilnius in 1972. From 1990 to 1993, he studied at the Vilnius Music Academy with Vytautas Barkauskas. From 1993 to 1997 he attended the Hochschule für Musik in Karlsruhe, studying composition with Wolfgang Rihm and conducting with Andreas Weiss. In 1997, he traveled to Paris to study composition with Emmanuel Nunes at the Conservatoire national supérieur de Paris. From 1994 to 1997 he also studied at the International Peter Eötvös Institute. He received a fellowship from the Heinrich-Strobel Foundation of Freiburg in 1996, and from the Herrenhaus Edenkoben in 1997. He participated in the Darmstadt Summer Courses from 1994-1996, and in the 1999-2000 Cursus (the IRCAM’s composition and computer music course). He received research fellowships from the Fondation Internationale Nadia et Lili Boulanger in Paris in 2000 and in 2002.
In Vilnius, he founded and directed the Penki Vejai vocal ensemble and the Aidija chamber choir. In 2009, he founded the Lithuanian Ensemble Network (LEN). As a conductor, he has worked as an assistant to Peter Eötvös since 1995; served as the music director and conductor of the Ensemble du nouveau Siècle in Strasbourg from 1995 to 1997, and has received awards such as the Youth Conductors’ Competition Prize in Kaunas in 1990 (second prize) and the Bad Homburger Conductors’ Competition prize in 2002.
In 2015, he was appointed professor of composition at the Maastricht Conservatory and was a guest professor at the Royal Conservatory of Brussels. In 2016, he gave lectures and seminars at the Royal Academy of Music in London. That same year, he took over as head of the masters program for contemporary music performance at the Lithuanian Academy of Music and Theatre.
Baltakas was awarded the Orléans International Piano Competition Prize for Pasaka in 2002. In 2004 he won the Claudio Abbado International Composition Prize. His theatric work Cantio, which premiered in 2004, was named Best Lithuanian Music-Theater Piece of that year. In 2007, he was awarded the Ernst von Siemens Music Prize.
His music has been performed by renowned musicians in major festivals: Poussla at MaerzMusik in Berlin in 2002; Ouroboros - Zyklus I at the Witten Festival by Klangforum Wien in 2005, (how does the silver cloud s)ou(nd?) at the Festival Musica de Strasbourg in 2006; b(ell tree) was premiered by the Arditti Quartet in 2007, Lift to Dubai by Ensemble Modern in 2009; and Scoria by the Munich Radio Orchestra at musica viva in 2010.
© Ircam-Centre Pompidou, 2010
Lithuanian Ensemble Network.
- Solo (excluding voice)
- elec Nr. 5 for Bösendorfer Computerflügel (1995), 5 mn
- Pasaka/ein Märchen for solo piano (1995-1997), 5 mn
- elec Pasaka/ein Märchen for piano and tape (1995-1997), 8 mn
- Nr. 2 version 1, for piccolo flute (1999), 5 mn
- Nr. 2 version 2, for clarinet (1999), 5 mn
- elec ircam Ircam cursus Das Lied for piano and electroacoustic device (2000), 5 mn, Universal Edition
- (how does the silver cloud s)ou(nd?) for piano (2006), 5 mn, Universal Edition
- Eine kleine Nachtmusik for violin (2013), Universal Edition
- elec Music of falling sounds for violin and electronics (2017, 2015), 11 mn
- Chamber music
- Konzerte für die Schatten der Stille for trumpet and harp (1991), 15 mn
- Unvollendete for flute, piccolo trumpet and alto saxophone (1994), 10 mn
- Nichtstück version 1, for trumpet trio (1996), 3 mn
- Nichtstück version 2, for wind ensemble (1996), 3 mn
- Unvollendete for flute, trumpet and bass clarinet (1999), 10 mn
- b(ell tree) for string quartet (2007), 10 mn, Universal Edition
- Commentum for cello and piano (2011), 10 mn, Universal Edition
- Redditio 2 for wind quintet (2013), 10 mn, Universal Edition
- Saxopho(e)nix for saxophone trio (2014), 12 mn, Universal Edition
- Smokey Arnold for flute, clarinet, piano, violin and cello (2017, 2015), 14 mn
- elec Sandwriting I for two electric pianos and live electronics (2018), 15 mn
- Instrumental ensemble music
- mintis-atsakas-aidas for twelve brass instruments (1993), 12 mn
- Sinfonia for wind and percussion ensemble (1996), 3 mn
- Nr. 1, Nr. 3 for ensemble (1998-1999), 15 mn
- Pusline for ensemble (1997-2000), 6 mn
- Ouroboros for ensemble (2004), 15 mn, Universal Edition
- (co)ro(na) for ensemble (2005), 9 mn, Universal Edition
- elec Lift to Dubai for ensemble and electronics (2009), 30 mn, Universal Edition
- Redditio for ensemble (2010), 10 mn, Universal Edition
- Scoria for orchestra in three groups (2004-2010), 20 mn, Universal Edition
- Eselbrücke for ensemble (2013), 10 mn, Universal Edition
- Sandwriting II for orchestra (2019), 15 mn
- Concertant music
- Vocal music and instrument(s)
- elec Pazeistas seselis (Verletzter Schatten) for soprano, tape and marimba (1993), 11 mn
- RiRo for soprano and trumpet (1995-1999), 8 mn
- ircam Anderes Lied double, for soprano and ensemble (2001), 6 mn
- elec About to drink dense clouds for narrator, ensemble and tape (2003), 7 mn, Universal Edition
- elec stage Cantio musical theater, for narrator, soprano, tenor, bass-baritone, ensemble and electronics (2001-2004), Universal Edition
- elec (d)ou(ble) for soprano, ensemble and tape (2005), 15 mn
- Ouroboros - Zyklus I for soprano, ensemble and tape (2004-2005), 27 mn, Universal Edition
- A cappella vocal music
- Atspindys (Widerschein) second version, for choir (1991), 7 mn
- Atspindys (Widerschein) for choir (1991), 7 mn
- Instruktionen zur Durchführung einer alten Liebesbeschwörung, die Ihre/Ihren Geliebte(n) auf einmal und für immer an Sie binden wird for four voices (2007), 12 mn, Universal Edition
- elec Ri for soprano and tape (2007), 13 mn, Universal Edition
- elec Eine Josquin-Promenade for voice and live lectronics, after the Missa sexti toni by Josquin des Prés (2010), 12 mn, Universal Edition
- Incantatio for solo voice (2019)
- Electronic music / fixed media / mechanical musical instruments
- elec Varga-Lied for tape (2007), Universal Edition
- elec Sandwriting I for two electric pianos and live electronics, 15 mn
- Commentum for cello and orchestra, 10 mn
- Saxopho(e)nix for saxophone trio, 12 mn, Universal Edition
- Commentum for cello and piano, 10 mn, Universal Edition
- elec Lift to Dubai for ensemble and electronics, 30 mn, Universal Edition
- Instruktionen zur Durchführung einer alten Liebesbeschwörung, die Ihre/Ihren Geliebte(n) auf einmal und für immer an Sie binden wird for four voices, 12 mn, Universal Edition
- elec Ri for soprano and tape, 13 mn, Universal Edition
- elec Varga-Lied for tape, Universal Edition
- b(ell tree) for string quartet, 10 mn, Universal Edition
- elec About to drink dense clouds for narrator, ensemble and tape, 7 mn, Universal Edition
- ircam Anderes Lied double, for soprano and ensemble, 6 mn
- elec Nr. 5 for Bösendorfer Computerflügel, 5 mn
- Unvollendete for flute, piccolo trumpet and alto saxophone, 10 mn
- Site du compositeur : http://www.baltakas.net/
- Lithuanian Ensemble Network : http://www.lithuanian-ensemble.net
- Éditions Universal : https://www.universaledition.com/
- SoundCloud : https://soundcloud.com/vykintas-baltakas
(liens vérifiés en janvier 2020).
- Vykintas BALTAKAS, (co)ro(na) ; Pasaka ; Sinfonia ; (b)ell tree ; Ri ; Poussla ; Pasaka ; Saxordionphonics, dans « (b)ell tree », 1 CD Kairos, 2016, 0015004KAI.
- Vykintas BALTAKAS,(co)ro(na), dans « Coronation », avec des œuvres de Magnus Lindberg, Rebecca Saunders, Iannis Xenakis, ensemble musikFabrik, 1 cd Wergo, 2010, WER 68552.
- Vykintas BALTAKAS, Ouroboros dans « zoom in 4: new music from Lithuania », avec des œuvres de Raminta Šerkšnytė, Vytautas V. Jurgutis, Onutė Narbutaitė, Algirdas Martinaitis et Marius Baranauskas, 1 cd Lithuanian Music Information and Publishing Centre, 2005.