Belgian composer born 20 May 1979 in Courtrai, Belgium.
Stefan Prins studied composition and piano at the Antwerp Royal Conservatory, graduating with a Master’s degree in composition in 2009, alongside studies of music technology, the philosophy of technology, and sonology at Brussels Koninklijk Conservatorium, Antwerp University, and the Royal Conservatory in The Hague. In 2017, he received a Doctorate in composition from Harvard University, where he studied with Chaya Czernowin. He also participated in several masterclasses, allowing him further study with Georges Aperghis, Richard Barrett, Chaya Czernowin, Karlheinz Essl, Beat Furrer, Enno Poppe, Steven Tagasuki, and Vladimir Tarnopolski.
Prins is co-artistic director, along with Pieter Matthynssens, of the Belgian contemporary music group Nadar Ensemble. He regularly performs with the improvised music collective reFLEXible, of which he is a founding member, and whose performances often include video, dance, and installations. He is also a member of the group “Ministry of Bad Decisions” (with Yaron Deutsch, electric guitar, and Brian Archinal, percussion).
In his activities as both a composer and an improvisor of electronic music, Prins is interested in exploring the relationships between human beings and technology, focusing on the ways in which the latter has influenced the human condition in contemporary society through the widespread use of social media, webcams, video surveillance, video games, and smartphones. In particular, he probes the line which separates the real from the virtual (cf. Generation Kill, 2012).
Prins’ works have been programmed in festivals such as Donaueschinger Musiktage, Wittener Tage für Neue Kammermusik, Darmstadt Summer Courses, Forum Neuer Musik Deutschlandfunk, Eclat, Ultima, Musica Strasbourg, Wien Modern, Ars Musica, Novembermusic, Transit Festival, Time Canvas, Musica Electronica Nova, Lucerne Festival, Tzlil Meudcan, Impuls, Huddersfield, and Musica Viva.
He has received numerous accolades, including the KBC Aquarius Composition Award for Young Composers (Brussels, 2001), Week of the Contemporary Music (Ghent, 2006; 2nd Prize), Staubach Honorarium (2009), International Impuls Composition Award (Graz, 2009), and the Kranichsteiner Musikpreis for Composition (2010). In 2012, he was named Belgian Musician of the Year by the Union of Belgian Music Critics, and in 2014, he was awarded the ISCM Young Composers Award and became a laureate of the Royal Belgian Academy of Arts and Sciences. In 2016, he received the Berlin Kunstpreis für Musik. Since March 2020, he’s appointed Professor of Composition and director of the Hybrid Music Lab at the Hochschule für Musik “Carl Maria Von Weber” Dresden.
Recordings of several of his works have been released on the Wergo, Neos, and Sub Rosa labels.
© Ircam-Centre Pompidou, 2017
Site personnel du compositeur
- Solo (excluding voice)
- Étude intérieure #1 for piano (2004), 11 mn
- elec stage Memory Space #3 for trumpet and live electronics (2006), 12 mn
- elec FITTINGinSIDE for trombone and audiovisual installation (2007), 19 mn
- elec Not I for electric guitar and live electronics (2007), between 20 mn and 24 mn
- Ensuite for cello (2010, 2008), 10 mn 30 s
- elec Piano Hero #2 for piano / midi keyboard, live electronics and video (2011, 2013-2016), 15 mn
- elec Piano Hero #1 for midi keyboard, electronics and video (2011-2012), 8 mn
- elec Piano Hero #3 for piano and electronics (2016), 22 mn
- elec Piano Hero #4 for midi keyboard, electronics and video (2016-2017), 13 mn
- This Body Functions Effectively for French horn (2019), 13 mn
- elec Inhibition Space #2 for bass clarinet and live electronics (2021), between 14 mn and 18 mn
- elec Situations for double bass and live electronics (2022), 6 mn
- Chamber music
- In memoriam Luciano Berio for piano and bassoon (2003), 3 mn
- No habra una sola cosa que no sea una nube for six instruments (2003), 14 mn
- inDEPENDENCE for string quartet (2004), 12 mn
- Erosie (Memory Space #1) for viola and bayan (2005), 16 mn
- elec Memory Space #2 for recorder, electric guitar, piano, percussion, double bass and live electronics (2005), 10 mn
- elec Ventriloquium for amplified cello, electric guitar, percussion, two improvisers and live electronics (2006), 14 mn
- elec Fremdkörper #1 for amplified piccolo flute, electric guitar, percussion, cello, 4-track tape and live electronics (2008), 12 mn
- elec Infiltrationen (Memory Space #4) for four electric guitars and live electronics (2009), between 20 mn and 25 mn
- elec Fremdkörper #2 for soprano saxophone, electric guitar, percussion, piano and live electronics (2010), 11 mn
- elec Generation Kill for percussion, electric guitar, violin, cello, four musicians with joysticks, live electronics and video (2012), 25 mn
- elec Generation Kill - offspring 1 for percussion, cello, two musicians with joystick, live electronics and live video (2012), 22 mn
- elec PARK for four electric guitars, performers and live electronics (2012), 50 mn
- elec Flesh+Prosthesis #0-2 for amplified quartet and tape (2013-2014), 16 mn
- elec Mirror Box (Flesh+Prosthesis #3) for amplified saxophone, percussion, piano and electronics (2014), 24 mn
- elec Mirror Box Extensions for ensemble, electronics and video (2014-2015), 35 mn
- elec Infiltrationen 3.0 for string quartet, two FX pedals and live electronics (2016), between 20 mn and 24 mn
- elec Hände ohne Orte for clarinet, percussion, piano, cello and tape (2016-2017), 13 mn
- elec Inhibition Space#1 for 3 feedback-enhanced bass woodwinds and live electronics (2020), 16 mn
- elec Inhibition Space #3 for tenor sax, percussion and live electronics (2022), between 16 mn and 20 mn
- Instrumental ensemble music
- Körper for chamber orchestra (2009), 6 mn
- elec Plug'n Play for laptop and brass ensemble (2010), 10 mn
- elec I'm your body for amplified quartet, ensemble and 4-track tape (2013-2014), 13 mn
- elec stage Third Space for 7 dancers, 10 musicians, conductor, live-electronics and live-video (2016-2018), 1 h 20 mn
- elec Mirror Box Reflections for 9 dynamically amplified musicians and live-electronics (2019), 23 mn
- Concertant music
- Electronic music / fixed media / mechanical musical instruments
- elec Inhibition Space#1 for 3 feedback-enhanced bass woodwinds and live electronics, 16 mn
- elec stage Third Space for 7 dancers, 10 musicians, conductor, live-electronics and live-video, 1 h 20 mn
- elec Mirror Box Extensions for ensemble, electronics and video, 35 mn
- elec Generation Kill for percussion, electric guitar, violin, cello, four musicians with joysticks, live electronics and video, 25 mn
- elec Generation Kill - offspring 1 for percussion, cello, two musicians with joystick, live electronics and live video, 22 mn
- elec PARK for four electric guitars, performers and live electronics, 50 mn
- elec Piano Hero #1 for midi keyboard, electronics and video, 8 mn
- elec Piano Hero #2 for piano / midi keyboard, live electronics and video, 15 mn
- Site de Stefan Prins : www.stefanprins.be
- Soundcloud de Stefan Prins : www.soundcloud.com
- Conférence « Hybrid Bodies and Hybrid Spaces » de Stefan Prins pour le Cursus de l’Ircam le 12 octobre 2020.
(liens vérifiés en janvier 2023).
- Tomasz BIERNACKI, « Alien bodies. Stefan Prins’ aesthetics of music », dans Dissonance, n° 125, 2013, p. 34-39. Article en ligne : https://www.dissonance.ch/upload/pdf/125_34_hb_bie_prins.pdf
- Stefan PRINS, « Über das Multidimensionale », dans MusikTexte, Heft 145, mai 2015, p. 66-67.
- Stefan PRINS, « Theater van het hybride lichaam. Bewegen in onze augmented reality », dans Kunsttijdschrift Vlaanderen, nr. 353, avril 2015.
- Stefan PRINS, Generation Kill ; Mirror Box Extensions ; Piano Hero #1–4 ; Third Space ; Not I ; Infiltrationen 3.0, dans « Augmented », 1 DVD et 1 CD Kairos, 2019, 0015044KAI.
- Stefan PRINS, Mirror Box (Flesh+Prosthesis #3), Trio Accanto, dans « Funanbules » avec des œuvres de Georges Apeghis, Rolf Riehm, Johannes Schöllhorn, 1 cd Wergo, 2017, WER73582.
- Stefan PRINS, Mirror Box Extensions, Nadar Ensemble, dans « Donaueschinger Musiktage 2015 » avec des œuvres de Georg Friedrich Haas, Mark Andre, Francesco Filidei, … et al., 2 cd Neos, 2016, 11611-12.
- Stefan PRINS, Fremdkörper #1, Nadar Ensemble, « Darmstadt Aural Document - Box 3 » avec des œuvres de Hanns Jelinek, Herbert Brün, Franco Evangelisti, … et al., 7 cd Neos, 2016, 11230.
- Stefan PRINS, Generation Kill, Nadar Ensemble, dans « Donaueschinger Musiktage 2012 », avec des œuvres de Malin Bång, Franck Bedrossian, Beat Furrer, … et al., 3 cd Neos, 2013, 11303-05.
- Stefan PRINS, Fremdkörper #1, Erosie, Infiltrationen, Ensuite, Ventriloquium, Fremdkörper #3, Étude intérieure, Fremdkörper #2, Not I, This is it!, dans « Fremdkörper », 2 cd Sub Rosa, 2012, SR339.