Chilean composer born 3 October 1986 in Santiago.
Fernando Munizaga studied guitar, and later composition, at the Pontifical Catholic University of Chile. Upon graduating with a Bachelor’s degree in guitar performance, he undertook a Master’s of Composition at the University of Chile. The early 2010s saw the first public performances of his works, including Espejismos, premiered by the Orquesta Sinfónica de la Universidad de Concepción. Starting in 2014, he undertook a second Master’s degree with Frédéric Durieux at the Paris Conservatoire (CNSMDP). In 2015-16, he participated in the IRCAM Cursus (IRCAM’s composition and computer music course).
Munizaga’s work leans heavily on analyses of the intonation, phonetics, and structure, as well as conceptual explorations of, poetry in a range of languages and from different cultures, materials which inform his research into instrumental and electronic music.
In 2017, he participated in Royaumont Voix Nouvelles, where his work Ondas Primarias, inspired by sonic analyses of earthquakes, was premiered. In June 2018, he was an invited artist at ManiFeste, during which his work Réplicas was performed at the Théâtre de Gennevilliers.
© Ircam-Centre Pompidou, 2018
- Instrumental ensemble music
- Vocal music and instrument(s)
- Sin salir por la puerta, sin mirar por la ventana for soprano, double bass recorder and guitar (2013), 6 mn about
- elec ircam Réplicas sound-theater for soprano, actor, flute, clarinet, harp, percussionist, double bass, augmented percussion ensemble and electronic device (2018), 25 mn, BabelScores [program note]
- A cappella vocal music
- Ondas Primarias for set
- Mi última palabra china for set, 10 mn about
- Espejismos for orchestra, 9 mn about