Hilda Paredes (1957)
Tres piezas In Memoriam L.J. (1998)
- General information
Composition date :
- Duration : 10 mn
- Editor : University of York Music Press
- Commission: La Banda Elastica avec les fonds du Fondo Nacional para la Cultura y las Artes, México
- Dedication : La Banda Elastica
- Composition date : 1998
- Musique instrumentale d'ensemble [Autre ensemble instrumental mixte atypique de 5 à 9 instuments]
- flute (also piccolo, alto flute), alto saxophone (also soprano saxophone), tenor saxophone, tabla, percussionist [percussions mexicaines] , guitar, double bass
États-Unis, Los Angeles Philarmonic series
CalArts New Century players, direction : David Rosenboom.
Enregistrement : La Banda Elastica, 1 cd Luna Negra, 1997, CDLN-22.
The pieces describe the journey of a ritual in which the first piece becomes a meditation around a melodic cell sung by the flute-an instrument very much cherished by Laurie- and on an F drone, held by the saxophones throughout this introduction.
The second piece follows, built by a series of interventions from a unique palette of instruments offered by La Banda Elástica, a group who combines Western instruments with a wide range of Mexican percussion instruments as well as the Indian Tabla, the instrument featured on the third and last piece.
This piece portrays a celebration of life and in this way homage to someone who loved life and music from every corner of the world, comes to a close.