Swedish composer born 6 July 1971 in Stockholm.
Jesper Nordin studied at the Stockholm Royal College of Music with Pär Lindgren and Bent Sørensen, at IRCAM with Philippe Leroux, and at Stanford University/CCRMA in 2004 (as a visiting scholar) with Brian Ferneyhough.
Nordin’s musical style includes references to traditional Swedish music, rock, and improvised music. His catalogue comprises works ranging from improvised electronic music to pieces for orchestra. He has worked with orchestras and ensembles including the BBC Symphony Orchestra, the Basel and Trondheim Symphony Orchestras, the Swedish and Finnish Radio Orchestras, Ensemble l’Itinéraire, Ensemble Orchestral Contemporain, ASKO, San Francisco Contemporary Music Players, and the Finnish Ensemble Zagros. His music is regularly performed at international festivals such as ISCM (Amsterdam), Gaudeamus, Musiques en Scène (Lyon), WhyNote (Dijon), Ultima (Oslo), and Takefu.
Having worked at IRCAM, GRAME, and CCRMA, he is also highly active in the field of electronic music, both as a composer and a performer.
He has received commissions from major institutions in several European countries, including the French Ministry of Culture for Undercurrents, composed in 2007 for cellist Benjamin Carat. He has also received numerous accolades, including the Christ Johnson Prize (Sweden) and a commendation in the UNESCO Rostrum International Radio Competition. From 2004 to 2006, he was composer-in-residence with P2 (Swedish National Radio’s music station), giving rise to the release in 2006 of a CD of his works titled “Residues.” Since 2008, his works have been published by Peters Editions.
Notable works include Circe for percussion and ensemble, premiered in 2012 by Jean Geoffroy and Ensemble Orchestral Contemporain at the Musiques en Scène Biennale in Lyon alongside Diffusing Grains for percussion ensemble; the Pendant (2009) cycle for chamber ensemble and electronics, commissioned by Ensemble l’Itinéraire; Aftermath and In the midst of Trespassing No 2, both premiered at the Takefu Festival in 2010; Lamento d’Arianna (2009) for mixed choir; and Width of a Circle for voice and chamber ensemble, premiered by KammarensembleN and Harmony of Voices, with Franck Ollu conducting.
Jesper Nordin has developed several iOS applications, including “Gestrument” and “ScaleGen,” inspired by his own compositional techniques. These tools have been used internationally by musicians working in genres from electro and techno to improvised jazz and new music.
© Ircam-Centre Pompidou, 2019
- Solo (excluding voice)
- elec Calm like a bomb for violin and electronics (2000), 10 mn, Edition Suecia [program note]
- elec ircam Ircam cursus Vintage for percussion and electronics (2003), 12 mn, Swedish Music Information Center
- elec Cri du berger for cello and live electronics (2004), 16 mn, Peters [program note]
- elec Ashes in the Fall for violin and live electronics (2019), Peters
- Chamber music
- The aisle for clarinet and string quartet (2001), 8 mn, Peters
- elec The sound of inevitability for bass recorder, cello and electronics (2002), Swedish Music Information Center [program note]
- elec In the midst of Trespassing for violin, percussion and electronics (2009), 15 mn, Peters [program note]
- elec Aftermath for saxophone quartet and live electronics (2010), 16 mn, Peters
- elec In the midst of Trespassing No 2 for violin, percussion, piano and electronics (2010), 15 mn, Peters [program note]
- Diffusing Grains for percussion ensemble (2012), 15 mn, Peters [program note]
- Jublet for brass quintet (2012), 3 mn, Peters
- elec Premonition sfor violin, contrabass recorder and electronics (2013), 7 mn, Peters
- elec Visual Exformation for string quartet, live electronics and interactive light sculpture (2016), 55 mn, Peters
- Instrumental ensemble music
- Scongiuro revocato for orchestra (1997), 11 mn, partition retirée du catalogue
- Arv for orchestra (2004), 16 mn, Peters [program note]
- Residues for orchestra (2006), 17 mn, Peters [program note]
- Surfaces Scintillantes for set (2008), 11 mn, Peters [program note]
- Kinship for set (2009), 15 mn, Peters
- elec Pendant I for ensemble and live electronics (2009), 12 mn, Peters [program note]
- elec Pendant II for ensemble and live electronics (2009), 8 mn, Peters [program note]
- elec Pendant III for ensemble and live electronics (2009), 9 mn, Peters [program note]
- Inverted Mantra for string orchestra (2011), 12 mn, Peters
- Åkallan for orchestra (2013), 12 mn, Peters
- Ärr for orchestra (2013), 17 mn, Peters
- Öde for orchestra (2015), 21 mn, Peters
- elec ircam Sculpting the Air Gestural Exformation (2010-2015), 23 mn, Peters [program note]
- elec 1:st Retrospective for orchestra and live electronics (2016), 10 mn, Peters
- Concert music
- Sleep now in the fire concerto for saxophone and orchestra (2001), 19 mn, Swedish Music Information Center [program note]
- Double Concerto for violin, cello and orchestra for orchestra (2003), 21 mn, Peters [program note]
- Moirai concerto for percussion and orchestra (2006), 20 mn, Peters [program note]
- elec Undercurrents for solo cello, ensemble and live electronics (2007), 16 mn, Peters [program note]
- Arches concerto for recorder and orchestra (2008), 20 mn, Peters [program note]
- Vicinities concerto for bassoon and orchestra (2011), 35 mn, Peters [program note]
- Circe concerto for percussion and ensemble (2012), 22 mn, Peters [program note]
- elec Frames in Transit for trio and orchestra (2012), 26 mn, Peters
- elec Emerge for clarinet, orchestra and Gestrument (2017), 12 mn, Peters
- elec Emerging from Currents and Waves for clarinet, large orchestra and live electronics (2018), 1 h 15 mn, Peters
- Vocal music and instrument(s)
- A cappella vocal music
- Lamento d'Arianna for mixed choir a cappella (2009), 6 mn, Peters
- Electronic music / fixed media / mechanical musical instruments
- elec Ashes in the Fall for violin and live electronics, Peters
- elec Emerge for clarinet, orchestra and Gestrument, 12 mn, Peters
- elec In the midst of Trespassing for violin, percussion and electronics, 15 mn, Peters [program note]
- Kinship for set, 15 mn, Peters
- Lamento d'Arianna for mixed choir a cappella , 6 mn, Peters
- elec Pendant I for ensemble and live electronics, 12 mn, Peters [program note]
- elec Pendant II for ensemble and live electronics, 8 mn, Peters [program note]
- elec Pendant III for ensemble and live electronics, 9 mn, Peters [program note]
- Scongiuro revocato for orchestra, 11 mn, partition retirée du catalogue
(liens vérifiés en mars 2022).
- Baptiste BACOT, François-Xavier FÉRON, « The Creative Process of Sculpting the Air by Jesper Nordin: Conceiving and Performing a Concerto for Conductor with Live Electronics », Contemporary Music Review, August-October 2016, Vol. 35 Issue 4/5, p. 450-474.
- Jesper NORDIN, « The Musical Interactivity Area — An Attempt to Map the Intersection Between Composition and Instrument Through the Use of the Gestrument Engine », Proceedings of the XXth Conference of Open Innovations Association FRUCT, 2020, Vol 27, Issue 2, p. 349-355.
- Jesper NORDIN, Frames in transit, Trio Trespassing, Johannes Gustavsson, direction, 1 cd dB Productions, 2014, dBCD 159.
- Jesper NORDIN, Undercurrents ; Surfaces scintillantes ; Cri du berger ;The Aisle ; Pendants, Benjamin Carat, violoncelle et l’Ensemble Gageego!, Pierre-André Valade, direction, dans « Pendants », 1 cd Phono Suecia, 2012.
- Jesper NORDIN, « Residues » : 1. Residues ; 2. Double Concerto ; 3. sleep now in the fire ; 4. Arv ; 5. calm like a bomb ; 6. inevitabilini ;7. Invisible Mantra ; 8. Vintage ; 9. Frozen still ; 10. Ingen får tro att allt är någons fel, Jean-François Laporte (1), Daniel Frankel : violon (2), Åsa Åkerberg : violoncelle (2), Rolf-Erik Nystrøm : saxophone (3), The Swedish Radio Symphony Orchestra (1, 3), direction : Niklas Willén (1, 3), Västerås Sinfonietta, direction : Eivind Aadland (2, 4), Trondheim Symphony Orchestra (4), Daniel Frankel (5), Anna Petrini (6), The Swedish Radio Choir, direction : Andreas Hanson (7), Niklas Brommare : percussion (8), Oskar Ekberg (9), radio art (10), 2 cds SR Records, 2006.