Claudia Jane Scroccaro
Italian composer and educator born in France.
After studying piano, composition, and conducting with Piero Bellugi, Claudia Jane Scroccaro obtained in 2010 a master’s degree in musicology with honors at the Tor Vergata University of Rome, where she defended a thesis on the harpsichord repertoire of Domenico Scarlatti. She then studied composition and electronic music, first at the Santa Cecilia Music Conservatory in Rome with Luigi Verdi and Michelangelo Lupone and then with Marco Stroppa at the Hochschule für Musik und Darstellende Kunst in Stuttgart in 2017-2019. From the latter institution, she obtained a master’s degree and a Konzertexamen in composition, receiving the highest distinction. She simultaneously attended classes by Philippe Leroux, Franck Bedrossian, Nicolas Tzortzis, and Francesco Filidei.
Scroccaro was composer in residence at the Music Innovation Study Center in Vilnius in 2016 and at the Thüringer Symphoniker Saalfeld-Rudolstadt in 2018. In 2019-2020, she attended the Cursus program for composition and computer music at IRCAM. She is a laureate of the Académie Voix Nouvelles at Royaumont (2020) and of the SWR-Vokalensemble-Akademie (2020-2021).
Scroccaro’s catalogue includes instrumental works, mixed music and electroacoustic pieces. Her music has been performed internationally by ensembles such as Ensemble Musikfabrik, SWR Vokalensemble, Ensemble Linea, Ensemble 2e2m, Ensemble Ascolta, and soloists such as Johanna Vargas, Florentin Ginot, Jana Luksts, as part of IRCAM’s ManiFeste festival, France Musique, Fondation Royaumont, ECLAT Festival, among others.
In a constant search for theatrical sound, Scroccaro is deeply interested in electroacoustic music and music from oral traditions. Her creative approach explores a dramaturgy between the human listening experience and microphone amplification of sound properties in multidimensional spaces. In her compositions, kaleidoscopic movements alternate with introspective sections, with obvious studies in rhythm.
In her latest works, Scroccaro focuses on the physical tension between the musician’s body and the body of the instrument during the act of playing. The production of specific sounds, such as microtonal oscillations, can project the listener into immersive spaces and ever-changing spectra.
In 2021, Scroccaro joined IRCAM as réalisateur en informatique musicale chargée de l’enseignment (director of computer music in charge of teaching). She teaches electronic music and computer-assisted composition.
Awards and distinctions
- Nomination for the Mario Merz Prize, fourth edition, in the music category, 2022
- Special mention at the Matan Givol International Composers Competition, 2021
- Residence at the SWR-VOKALENSEMBLE-Akademie, 2020-2021
- DAAD Music Scholarships for international students, 2018-2021
- Ensemble Fellowship with the Virginia Center for the Creative Arts and East Coast Contemporary Ensemble, 2017
- Sferos Residence, Lithuanian Academy of Music and Theatre, Music Innovation Study Center, 2016
- Druskininkai Artists Residence, solo piano project, 2015
- MIDAS Scholarship, 2010
- Principal’s Fellowship, McGill University, 2010
© Ircam-Centre Pompidou, 2022
Claudia Jane Scroccaro ; Ircam.
- Solo (excluding voice)
- Notturno for piano solo (2015), 10 mn
- elec On y rêve for piano and electronics (2015), 8 mn
- [S]toccata for piano solo (2019), 10 mn, BabelScores
- elec ircam Ircam cursus I sing the body electric for double bass and electronics (2020), 12 mn, BabelScores [program note]
- High Voltage Toccata for solo organ (2021), 5 mn
- Chamber music
- Instrumental ensemble music
- Vocal music and instrument(s)
- elec Gradual Abruptness for soprano, contrabass flute, prepared piano and double bass (amplified) (2022), 13 mn
- A cappella vocal music
- On the Ning Nang Nong where the Cows go Bong! for double choir (2021-2022), 4 mn, BabelScores
- Electronic music / fixed media / mechanical musical instruments
- elec Land[e]scape n°4 for spatial sound sphere, 7 mn 15 s
- BabelScores : www.babelscores.com
- Page SoundCloud de la compositrice : www.soundcloud.com
- Chaîne YouTube de la compositrice : www.youtube.com
- Voir la captation de la pièce de fin de Cursus de Claudia Jane Scroccaro, I Sing the Body Electric, enregistrée le 1er Juillet 2020 dans la Grande Salle du Centre Pompidou et diffusée dans le cadre du concert Cursus du festival Manifeste en ligne le 7 septembre 2020.
- « Gradual abruptness de Claudia Jane Scroccaro » dans Création Mondiale d’Anne Montaron sur France Musique, 13 novembre 2022.
(liens vérifiés en avril 2023).