Michelle Agnes Magalhaes
Brazilian composer born 20 October 1979 in Campo Grande.
Michelle Agnes Magalhaes first studied composition in 1994 with Hans-Joachim Koellreutter in Brazil. In 2002, she earned a Bachelor’s in composition from the University of Campinas, and in 2010 a PhD in musicology from the University of São Paulo. Also active as a pianist, she regularly performs as an improviser. Starting in 2012, she undertook further study of composition with Salvatore Sciarrino, Stefano Gervasoni, and Chaya Czernowin.
Her works have been performed by ensembles such as Abstraï, Percorso, Arsenale, Accroche Note, Promenade Sauvage, ECCE, Bahia Blanca Soloists, Quarteto Prometeo, Flame Ensemble, TaG Neue Musik, 20° dans le noir, Talea, Itinéraire, and Multilatérale. She has been commissioned by Radio France (Lorca Fragments), the Goiás Philharmonic Orchestra (After Spring), Venice Biennale (Crime(s)), the Radcliffe Institute for Advanced Study at Harvard University (Herbarium), SESC in Brazil (The grand Can(y)on), and the Siemens Foundation (Orange).
Since 2003, she has been awarded a number of grants and residencies, including from the Bourges International Institute of Electroacoustic Music, the Giorgio Cini Foundation (Venice), Harvard University Summer Composition Institute, the Walpurgis Muziektheater Company (Antwerp), the Camargo Foundation, Villa Sträulli (Switzerland), the French Institute in Morocco, and, in 2017-18, the Radcliffe Institute for Advanced Study at Harvard University.
Magalhaes’ music explores the boundaries between gestures and syntax, improvisation and composition. Since 2014, she has collaborated on several occasions with IRCAM, first for research on gestures in musical performance and the connection between composed and improvised music, and, more recently, with an artistic research residency, during which she examined the workings of the musical mind.
She currently lives and works in Paris.
© Ircam-Centre Pompidou, 2018
Site personnel de la compositrice.
- Solo (excluding voice)
- Exílio. Amor; tangente for harp (2004), 6 mn
- Mobile for prepared piano (2012), 8 mn
- elec Chambre double for double bass and electronics (2015), 8 mn
- Mobile II for prepared piano (2016), 10 mn
- elec Crime(s) for violin and electronics (2017), variable
- In my volcano grows the grass for prepared piano (2017-2018), 10 mn
- Migrations for cello (2016-2018), 8 mn
- Phare for lever harp (Celtic harp, 26, 34, 36 or 38 strings) (2020), BabelScores
- Chamber music
- Vento noroeste for violin, cello and bass clarinet (2012), 7 mn
- Ball for violin, viola, cello and piano (2014), 8 mn
- Loco reloj que canta muertas horas antigas for guitar and accordion (2015), 8 mn
- Calando for string quartet (2016), 7 mn
- elec Gesicht for two double basses and electronics (2016), 20 mn
- Lorca Fragments for flute, clarinet, viola, cello and harp (2016), 10 mn
- Play and theory of the duende for flute, violin, cello and harp (2016), 7 mn
- elec Herbarium for piano, double bass, percussion and electronics (2017-2018), 50 mn
- elec Orange for double bass, cello and electronics (2018), 8 mn
- Lighter than air for string quartet (2020), BabelScores
- Instrumental ensemble music
- elec The grand Can(y)on for instrumental and electronic ensemble (2018), 10 mn
- Concert music
- After Spring for six percussionists and orchestra (2016), 15 mn
- Vocal music and instrument(s)
- A cappella vocal music
- elec Ser Voz for four voices and electronics (2012), 12 mn
- Electronic music / fixed media / mechanical musical instruments
- After Spring for six percussionists and orchestra, 15 mn
- Calando for string quartet, 7 mn
- elec Gesicht for two double basses and electronics, 20 mn
- Lorca Fragments for flute, clarinet, viola, cello and harp, 10 mn
- Mobile II for prepared piano, 10 mn
- Play and theory of the duende for flute, violin, cello and harp, 7 mn
- Ball for violin, viola, cello and piano, 8 mn
- Rio for tenor and four instruments, 6 mn
- Exílio. Amor; tangente for harp, 6 mn
- elec Prologue for electronics, 6 mn
- elec O Cru e o Cozido for electronics, 8 mn
- Site Internet de la compositrice : www.michelleagnes.net
- Soundcloud de la compositrice : soundcloud.com
- Interview de Michelle Agnes Magalhaes sur le site du Talea Ensemble
- Vidéo du concert au Radcliffe Institute for Advanced Study du 18 avril 2018
- Rediffusion intégrale de Lorca Fragments et portrait de la compositrice dans Création Mondiale sur France Musique le samedi 24 février 2018
(liens vérifiés en janvier 2021).