Italian composer born 13 April 1990 in Rome.
Giulia Lorusso was born in Italy in 1990. She studied piano and composition with Alessandro Solbiati at the Conservatorio di Milano, graduating in 2014. In 2015, she studied orchestration and analysis with Allain Gaussin and then participated in Cursus (IRCAM’s composition and computer music course). That same year, she enrolled in the masters program of the Conservatoire de Paris (CNSMDP), studying composition with Frédéric Durieux and electroacoustic composition with Yan Maresz and Luis Naón. She has taken part in numerous courses and master classes, including at the Darmstadt Summer Courses, Impuls Academy in Graz, and the Accademia Chigiana in Siena, with composers such as Salvatore Sciarrino, Stefano Gervasoni, and Pierluigi Billone.
Her music has been performed by the Quartetto Prometeo, Ensemble Nikel, the Divertimento Ensemble, Ex Novo, the Brussels Philharmonic Orchestra, and soloists from the Ensemble Intercontemporain. She has been featured at several festivals, including the Cinque Giornate festival in Milan in 2013, the Festival für junge Zeitgenössische Musik in Vienna in 2013, the Tzlil Meudcan Festival in Tel Aviv in 2015, the Tactus Forum for Young Composers in Brussels in 2015, and the Firenze Suona Contemporanea festival in Florence in 2014 and 2015.
Her first orchestral work, Esserepelle, premiered in a performance by the Brussels Philharmonic Orchestra in 2015; Con moto for accordion and electronics premiered in 2016 at the Pompidou Center as part of an IRCAM Cursus concert. The Spinola-Banna Foundation commissioned her Entr’ouvert, a piece for augmented piano that premiered in Turin and was performed again in June 2017 at IRCAM’s ManiFeste festival.
Lorusso is interested in the relationships between performer and instrument, body and sound, a perspective from which she seeks to integrate technology into her compositions.
Since 2019, she is in artistic research residency at Ircam, in collaboration with ZKM, where she works on generative sound environments. In 2020, she is also an artist in residence for the “Incubator” project at the Fondation Royaumont.
© Ircam-Centre Pompidou, 2019
- Solo (excluding voice)
- Let it come for double bass (2015), 11 mn, BabelScores
- elec ircam Ircam cursus Con moto for microtonal accordion (xamp) and electronics (2016), 7 mn [program note]
- elec ircam Entr’ouvert for augmented piano (2017), 11 mn [program note]
- Déserts for piano (2018)
- elec Marginalia for amplified violin and tape (2018)
- Simple song for piano (2018)
- À fleur de peau I for electric guitar (2019)
- À fleur de peau II for electric guitar (2019)
- D'un fiato miniature for accordion (2021)
- Kemò-vad for piano (2021)
- elec Reflet trouble for mandoline and electronics (2021)
- Till we're called to rise for vocalizing pianist (2021)
- Unspoken for electric guitar (2021)
- Chamber music
- Study for portrait for two pianos and two percussionists (2012), 5 mn
- Wo-hin for flute, clarinet, piano, violin and cello (2012), 7 mn, Sconfinarte
- In Superficie for string quartet (2014), 6 mn, BabelScores
- Unità di movimento for violin and cello (2014), 10 mn
- Gravure for flute, oboe, two violins and cello (2016), 7 mn
- Rumeurs au cœur d’impasses for flute, clarinet, violin, cello and piano (2016), 9 mn
- elec Floating Flows Flooding for bass clarinet, viola, cello, electronics and resonators (2017)
- elec stage Corpo Unico music theater for string quartet, dancer, puppets & electronics (2020), 45 mn
- elec Intertwined fields miniature for accordion, theorbo, e-guitar & electronics (2021)
- elec They steal the wind for 2 microtonals accordions and electronics (2021)
- Diaphane for string quartet (2022)
- elec Organique for amplified string trio (2022)
- Instrumental ensemble music
- Vocal music and instrument(s)
- Hommage to the dawn for female voice and percussion (2013), 11 mn
- Electronic music / fixed media / mechanical musical instruments
- Unspecified instrumentation
- D'un fiato miniature for accordion
- elec Intertwined fields miniature for accordion, theorbo, e-guitar & electronics
- Kemò-vad for piano
- elec Reflet trouble for mandoline and electronics
- elec They steal the wind for 2 microtonals accordions and electronics
- Till we're called to rise for vocalizing pianist
- Unspoken for electric guitar
- Hommage to the dawn for female voice and percussion, 11 mn
- Entretien avec Giulia Lorusso : « Radicante » en résonance par Jérémie Szpirglas, March 18, 2021
- Site de la compositrice : www.giulia-lorusso.com
- SoundCloud de Giulia Lorusso : www.soundcloud.com
- Page de Giulia Lorusso sur BabelScores : www.babelscores.com
- Giulia LORUSSO, « Radicante en résonance », entretien par Jérémie Szpirglas, dans Accents, le webmag de l’Ensemble intercontemporain, juin 2020.
- Déserts de Giulia Lorusso dans Création Mondiale d’Anne Montaron sur France Musique, le 10 janvier 2020.
- Participation de Giulia Lorusso à la conférence « Between interaction and generation: new perspectives on generative sound environments via localized structured prediction » le 22 octobre 2019 à l’Ircam.
(liens vérifiés en septembre 2022).
- Giulia LORUSSO, In Superficie ; Con moto, Jean-Étienne Sotty, accordéon ; Quartetto Prometeo, dans « Intersezioni » avec une œuvre de Rosalba Quindici, 1 cd Stradivarius, 2017, STR37030.
- Giulia LORUSSO, Gravure, dans « Créations pour l’Ensemble intercontemporain » avec des œuvres de Fabien Touchard, Daniel Alvarado Bonilla … et al., 1 cd Cnsmdp, 2016.
- Giulia LORUSSO, Unità di movimento, par les élèves du Conservatoire, dans « Concert du DAI du 5 mai 2014 » avec des œuvres de Damien Bonnec, Hao-Yuan Chiu, Fabien Touchard, … et al., 1 cd Cnsmdp, 2014.