Swiss composer and organist born in 1978 in Rapperswil.
Michael Pelzel studied piano with Ivan Klansky and composition with Dieter Ammann at the Lucerne Hochschule. He went on to study music theory and composition with Georg-Friedrich Haas, Detlev Müller-Siemens, and Roland Moser, and organ with Guy Bovet at the Basel Hochschule from 2003 to 2008. From 2007 to 2009, he undertook further study of the organ with Ludger Lohmann at the Stuttgart Hochschule, and composition with Hanspeter Kyburz at the Hanns Eisler Hochschule für Musik in Berlin. Finally, in 2009, he studied with Wolfgang Rihm at the Karlsruhe Hochschule while also attending composition classes with Klaus Huber and György Kurtág. He participated in the Darmstadt Summer Courses in 2004, 2006, and 2008.
Currently, Michael Pelzel works as an organist in Stäfa (near Zurich), and collaborates with ensembles such as MusikFabrik, Phoenix, Ensemble Recherche, Klangforum Wien, Collegium Novum, Vortex, Ensemble Intercontemporain, Diotima Quartet, Mosaik, Linea, Neue Vocalsolisten, and the Bavarian Radio Orchestra.
In the 2010-2011 season, Pelzel’s works were performed in festivals including Ensemblia in Saarbrücken, Musica Viva in Munich, Wien Modern, Donaueschingen, and the Lucerne Festival, and at Cité de la Musique in Paris. His compositions have been awarded numerous international prizes: in Switzerland (Basel in 2005, Bern in 2006-2007, St. Gallen in 1999 and 2007, Lucerne in 2006), Germany (Mönchengladbach in 2003 for …in between, Kassel in 2004, Munich in 2005), Russia (Tomsk and Moscow in 2007), China (Sun River Prize in 2007), and Korea (Seoul Music Today Festival in 2009).
As an organist, Michael Pelzel has been invited to perform in cathedrals in Sydney, San Francisco, Los Angeles, and Cape Town.
© Ircam-Centre Pompidou, 2010
Festival de Donaueschingen.
- Solo (excluding voice)
- Chamber music
- ...in between for viola d'amore, clarinet and trombone (2003)
- Figures perforées for flute, clarinet, violin, cello and piano (2006), Inédit
- Blue and monochrome for clarinet, saxophone and accordion (2009)
- Chant fractal for oboe and violin (2009), 10 mn, Inédit
- Corrugated passacaille for saxophone, cello and accordion (2009), Inédit
- Slivers of Sound for string quartet (2009), Inédit
- Vers le vent for string quartet (2010), Inédit
- Ensemble music
- Concert music
- Méandre inondé for clarinet and orchestra (2005), Inédit
- Vocal music and instrument(s)
- Electronic music / fixed media / mechanical musical instruments
- elec ...sentiers tortueux... electronic music (2007)
- Vers le vent for string quartet, Inédit
- Blue and monochrome for clarinet, saxophone and accordion
- elec Brushing for solo piano, Inédit
- Chant fractal for oboe and violin, 10 mn, Inédit
- Corrugated passacaille for saxophone, cello and accordion, Inédit
- Haikus for soprano, flute, cello, percussion and piano, Inédit
- Mélodie fractal for bass voice, organ, horn, trumpet and trombone, 6 mn, Inédit [program note]
- Piano Operation for soprano, oboe, cello and piano
- Slivers of Sound for string quartet, Inédit
- elec ...sentiers tortueux... electronic music
- Figures perforées for flute, clarinet, violin, cello and piano, Inédit