Swiss-Italian composer born in 1975.
Swiss-Italian composer Oscar Bianchi was born on 5 August 1975 in Milan. He began studying piano at the age of 8, and went on to study composition and choir conducting at the Milan Conservatory. He also studied electronic music at the Milan and Bologna Conservatories, as well as at the Modena Music Academy. He rounded out his studies by participating in Cursus (the IRCAM’s coomposition and computer music course) in 2003-2004, and participated in many master classes and international residencies, including the Stockholm International Composition Course, the Darmstadt Summer Courses, the Abbaye de Royaumont, and the Atlantic Center for the Arts in Florida. After this he completed a doctorate in composition at Columbia University, New York, under the direction of Tristan Murail. He was awarded the Gaudeamus Prize in 2005.
Oscar Bianchi’s music is characterized by dense textures, remarkable imagination, and an acute sense of musical dramaturgy. It has been performed in many prestigious institutions by ensembles including Klangforum Wien, Ensemble Modern, Ictus, Les Percussions de Strasbourg, the Nieuw Ensemble, the Neue Vocalsolisten Stuttgart, and L’Itineraire. It has also been broadcast throughout Europe, by radios including SWR (Germany), RAI TRE (Italy), RTBF (Francophone Belgium), RTSI (Switzerland), and VPRO (The Netherlands).
In addition to his work as a composer, Oscar Bianchi served as music curator of the Biennale di Porto Ercole in Italy (2000-2001), president of the Association Pavillon Suisse of the Fondation Suisse-Pavillon Le Corbusier in Paris (2003-2005); he also taught at Columbia University from 2005 to 2009.
In 2008, he participated in the Ensemble Modern International Composition Seminar, and the following year, collaborated with Klangforum Wien at the Impuls Composers Academy for Contemporary Music in Graz. He was a DAAD artist-in-residence in Berlin and held a research residency at the IRCAM. He then served as artist-in-residence for Pro-Helvetia in Warsaw and Johannesburg.
Oscar Bianchi’s projects include works for Ensemble Modern (Vishudda Concerto – which premiered in Frankfurt on 11 May 2009; the Neue Vocalsolisten Stuttgart, Quatuor Diotima, David Grimal, the Orchestre Philharmonique de Radio France (Ajna Concerto – which premiered on 20 September 2010 during the Festival Musica in Strasbourg); as well as an opera for Ictus Ensemble, T&M, the Venice Biennale, Musik der Jahrhunderte in Stuttgart, and Música de Hoy in Madrid.
Oscar Bianchi lives in New York. His work is published by Editions Musicales Durand (Universal Music Publishing).
- Fellowship from the Swiss CIUP Foundation (Paris) for a residency in 2004-2005
- Gaudeamus International Composers Award in 2005
- ASM/STV (Association Suisse de musiciens) fellowship in 2005 and in 2007
- Alice Tully Hall Reopening Nights Festival Prize at Lincoln Center (New York) for a piece for Alarm Will Sound in 2008
- Prix Gabriel Dussurget for Primordia Rerum in 2010
© Ircam-Centre Pompidou, 2010
- Site personnel du compositeur (voir Ressources documentaires).
- Solo (excluding voice)
- Explosion Implosion for solo piano (1999), 5 mn 36 s, Inédit
- Qba for solo percussion (2002), 9 mn 15 s, Inédit
- elec ircam Ircam cursus Crepuscolo for Paetzold recorders and electronics (2004), 16 mn, Inédit [program note]
- GR... for solo bass flute (2010), 6 mn 50 s, Universal Edition
- Semplice for violin (2010)
- Schegge for prepared piano (2011)
- De Profundis for basset horn (2013)
- In for double bass (2013), 12 mn about
- Docile Ascesa for double bass (2014)
- Soffio for accordion (2014), 12 mn about
- Alteritas for bass clarinet or contrabass clarinet (2016), 15 mn about
- Ballerina for electric guitar (2016)
- Etude no. 1 for piano (2018), Durand
- Chamber music
- Estensione Di Forma for piano and violin (2000), 4 mn 20 s, Inédit
- De Rerum Natura for flute and violin (2001), 12 mn, Inédit [program note]
- Esegesi Del Ricordo for ensemble (2003), 12 mn 24 s, Inédit
- Zaffiro for flute, saxophone, viola and guitar (2005), 12 mn, Inédit [program note]
- Preludio for five instruments (2006), 3 mn, Inédit
- Stone Rhapsody for guitar, two piano and two percussionists (2007-2008), 19 mn, Inédit
- Adesso string quartet n° 1 (2011), 19 mn, Universal Edition
- Soffio for cello and piano (2013), 12 mn about
- Reinforced sympathy for two ouds (2016)
- Topologia delle passioni for wind quintet (2016)
- Pathos of distance string quartet n ° 2 (2017), 15 mn about , Durand
- Antilope for bass clarinet, cello and piano (2018), Durand
- Senza for recorder and violin (2018), Durand
- Sintonía string quartet n ° 3 (2019), 16 mn about , Durand
- Instrumental ensemble music
- Pictures of an explosion for set (2000), 7 mn 25 s, Inédit
- Alba for ensemble (2004), 12 mn, Inédit
- Aqba, Nel Soffio Tuo Dolce for percussion ensemble (2005), 17 mn 20 s, Inédit [program note]
- elec ircam Mezzogiorno for set (2004-2005), 15 mn, Durand [program note]
- Teso Ma Non Nervoso for set (2006), 11 mn, Inédit
- The Salvador Dali Secret Chord Progression for percussion ensemble (2006), 14 mn, Inédit
- Trasparente for set (2007), 9 mn, Inédit
- Anahata Concerto for ensemble (2008), 20 mn, Durand
- Trasparente II for set (2007-2008), 11 mn, Inédit [program note]
- Vishudda Concerto (2008-2009), 12 mn, Inédit
- Ajna Prelude for orchestra (2009-2010)
- elec Permeability for 19 instruments and electronics (2013), Durand
- Exordium for symphony orchestra (2015-2016), 11 mn, Durand
- Inventio for symphony orchestra (2015-2016), 30 mn about , Durand
- Contingency for ensemble (2017), Durand
- Roar for symphony orchestra (2017)
- Orango for ensemble and public (2018), 35 mn about , Durand
- Concert music
- elec Sibilla for electric and acoustic violin and ensemble (2001), 15 mn about , Inédit
- I Due Cardini for piano and large ensemble (2002), 15 mn about , Inédit
- Oneness for bass clarinet, basset horn and orchestra (2013)
- Celeste discontinuità for cello and string orchestra (2014)
- Soffiando for cello and string orchestra (2013-2014), 12 mn about
- Étoile for electric guitar and orchestra (2019), 18 mn about , Durand
- Vocal music and instrument(s)
- Primordia Rerum for solo soprano and ensemble (2003), 12 mn, Inédit [program note]
- elec Matra cantata (2007), 60 mn, Inédit [program note]
- stage Thanks to my Eyes one-act opera for 4 singers, mime, actress and 12 instruments (2010-2011), Universal Edition
- Ante litteram for six voices and bass clarinet (2011-2012), Universal Edition
- Sotto vuoto for voice and percussion (2012)
- Fluente for soprano, baritone and bagpipes (2013)
- stage The Past for eleven interpreters (2014)
- Partendo for countertenor and ensemble (2015), 22 mn about , Durand
- Circled Existence for electric guitar and six voices (2018)
- stage Sinatra in agony musical theater for countertenor, actor and ensemble (2017-2018), 1 h 20 mn about
- A cappella vocal music
- Electronic music / fixed media / mechanical musical instruments
- elec Involve for tape (2000), 4 mn 45 s, Inédit
- Antilope for bass clarinet, cello and piano, Durand
- Circled Existence for electric guitar and six voices
- Etude no. 1 for piano, Durand
- Orango for ensemble and public, 35 mn about , Durand
- Senza for recorder and violin, Durand
- stage Sinatra in agony musical theater for countertenor, actor and ensemble, 1 h 20 mn about
- Partendo for countertenor and ensemble, 22 mn about , Durand
- Vishudda Concerto, 12 mn, Inédit
- Explosion Implosion for solo piano, 5 mn 36 s, Inédit
- Site du compositeur : http://www.oscarbianchi.com
- Durand : https://www.durand-salabert-eschig.com/fr-FR/Composers/B/Bianchi-Oscar.aspx
- SoundCLoud : https://soundcloud.com/oscarbianchi
- « Oscar Bianchi — Entre énergie et virtuosité », MagSacem n°103, juillet 2019
(liens vérifiés en septembre 2020).
- Oscar BIANCHI, Anahata Concerto ; Crepusculo ; Primordia Rerum ; Zaffiro ; Matra ; Tanks to My Eyes ; Gr…, 1 cd Musiques Suisses, 2013.
- Oscar BIANCHI, Crepuscolo, Anna Petrini, 1 cd dB Productions, 2012.
- Oscar BIANCHI, Matra, ensemble Ictus, Neuevocalsolisten, direction : Georges-Élie Octors, 1 cd Cypres records, 2012, CYP4502.