Elliott Carter (1908-2012)
Of Challenge and of Love (1994)
cinq poèmes de John Hollander, pour soprano et piano
- Informations générales
Date de composition :
- Durée : 22 mn
- Éditeur : Boosey & Hawkes
- Commande: Aldeburgh Foundation pour Lucy Shelton, avec l'aide de la Rex Foundation
Livret (détail, auteur) :
- Date de composition : 1994
- Musique vocale et instrument(s) [Soprano et piano]
- soprano solo, piano
Information sur la création
- 19 June 1995, Royaume-Uni, Aldeburgh Festival, par Lucy Shelton : soprano et John Constable : piano
Enregistrement : Tony Arnold et Jacob Greenberg, cd Bridge 9218.
John Hollander’s poetry has fascinated me for many years because of its poetic skills, its awareness of our cultural past and its wide-ranging modern expressivity. So when Lucy Shelton (whose performances of my work are superb) and the Aldeburgh Festival proposed that I write a cycle for her, I accepted with great pleasure. The choice of the texts from many of Hollander’s books and a type-written script of Quatrains from Harp Lake (which John tells me is the Sea of Galilee) are basically focused around the character of that poem with its brief, vividly contrasting quatrains that have an under-current of irony and deep anxiety that is also found in the other four poems in different ways. The score was composed in the last months of 1994 in New York City.