Elliott Carter (1908-2012)
Wind Rose (2008)
pour ensemble à vents
- Informations générales
Date de composition :
28 jul 2008 - 08 aug 2008
- Durée : 06 mn
- Éditeur : Boosey & Hawkes
- Dédicace : à Oliver Knussen
- Date de composition : 28 jul 2008 - 08 aug 2008
- Musique instrumentale d'ensemble [Ensemble à vent]
- flûte piccolo, 3 flûte, 2 flûte alto, flûte basse, 3 hautbois, 2 cor anglais, clarinette en mib, 3 clarinette, 3 clarinette basse, clarinette contrebasse, 3 basson, contrebasson
Information sur la création
16 December 2008
Royaume-Uni, Londres, Barbican
l'orchestre symphonique de la BBC, direction : Oliver Knussen.
When Ellen Highstein, Director of the Tanglewood Music Center, asked me to write a piece to be premiered during their festival of my music at Tanglewood in the summer of 2008, I thought it would be interesting to write a piece for strings that depended only density of textures with no linear material, no change of color or dynamics, with this in mind, I wrote Sound Fields. When my friend, the composer/conductor Oliver Knussen heard this first performance at Tanglewood, where he was conducting many of my pieces that summer, he suggested that I write a companion piece for winds.
This led to Wind Rose, which adds changes of color. The piece is dedicated to Oliver Knussen. I started writing it on July 28, 2008 and finished it on August 8, 2008.