Elliott Carter (1908-2012)
Quintet for piano and string quartet (1997)
- Informations générales
Date de composition :
- Durée : 16 mn
- Éditeur : Boosey & Hawkes
- Date de composition : 1997
- Musique de chambre [Quintette à cordes avec ou sans clavier]
- piano, violon, violon II, alto, violoncelle
Information sur la création
- 18 November 1998, États-Unis, Washington D.C., Library of Congress, par Ursula Oppens : piano et le Quartuor Arditti.
Quintet for Piano and String Quartet was composed during the summer of 1997 for the pianist, Ursula Oppens and the Arditti Quartet, commissioned for them by the Library of Congress with the intention of giving its premiere at a concert celebrating my 90th birthday at the Library.
The work is in one movement of many changing characters and contrasts. The moods and materials of the piano are contrasted with those of the string quartet, which, itself, is a combination of four different strands that maintain somewhat independent existences, played by the four strings.